Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Typical story around here I imagine, but I'm one of those "always wanted a early Camaro" types.

We've (my son and I) been working on some older trucks for few years now...a kinda prostreet 66 Burb...an extended cab, 1 ton, 4X4, 66 truck...a 58 1 ton, 4X4 dually flatbed...and a 66 GMC long bed.

We know the trucks from these eras fairly well, but have a lot of catching up to do with our latest project.

In an somewhat constant search for that elusive 1st Gen find, my son remembered a early Camaro sitting in a back yard from his HS lawn mowing days and decided to drop by early this last week.

It's always in the timing, right? Turns out that this "won't ever sell it, gonna build it" owner decided that he was going to sell it after all...maybe under a bit of pressure from the wife. :)

His asking price was very attractive and a deal was immediately struck. :hurray:
We brought it home Fri. afternoon :D

This car had been in the same family since new, with 3 different owners. It blew the AC compressor in 91 and was parked. The 327 was pulled out at some point in time and set to the side...never was touched again. The car sat under a tarp for most of the next 23 years, along with the drivetrain, until becoming exposed in the last year or so.

We don't know exactly what we're going to do with the car yet, but the wife is calling dibs on this one. We're not really the "numbers matching" types...more just general gear heads. Right now, just thinking of getting it going with a new drivetrain, a couple performance mods...suspension, brakes, etc.

To our uneducated eyes, the car seems to be in excellent shape with only a little through rust in the trunk...we'll see what else we find moving forward.

All comments and suggestions are very welcome...we will need all the help this community has to offer!!:thumbsup:

The following pics are of how it was found and where it is now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
32,348 Posts
Welcome, Phil.
Correct year and she looks in good shape considering.
Haven't seen gold centered Keystone Klassics in eons.
Enjoy the journey and make a logbook of the work/parts/electrical work installed - it will come in handy in the future.

Nice shop, BTW. I likey the tow truck.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Good catch. Good project with good bones.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Congrats! Mine sat 21 years!
it looks like you have a very nice car to start with! I see you already had a look in the BUILDS section for several months of reading. See what other people did, see what problems they had or issues discovered. I know if I stayed more stock with my build that I would have been done months back.

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
Awesome tow rig too!!! Congrats-have fun.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Now I'm sitting here thinking about what cars I knew about 20+ years ago...they could still be there?

1968 327, console with clock and AC. That will be a nice driver.

Great job sir! Keep posting pics please if you have any.

·
19,786 Posts
Nice find, great year :beers:
Welcome to the addiction.

Even if you don't go back to stock/numbers matching....keep everything for the future.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the comments/feedback. :beers:

I'm going to do a bit of research tonight and decipher the VIN...should answer some questions.

I've got ALOT of reading/studying to do...trying to absorb as much as I can and start making some decisions...

We've been working on the burb (tow rig, every now and then) for the last 18 mos. or so...BBC/T400/D60/4Wdisc/F-R swaybars, it's a lot of fun!

Couple pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome aboard, Phil...and nice find !:thumbsup:

Sure looks straight and unmolested. Perk'n up in the surroundings too...nice shop.:)

Is that original paint ? Island Teal by chance ....http://www.69pace.com/paint1968islandteal.htm

Thanks! I think that the paint is original...well, where the original blue is showing through. We know that it had a very poorly applied silver at some time.
The cowl tag shows the original color as Grotto Blue.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Way to go and have fun and above all, welcome aboard! So many of us have Camaro's that sat for a long time for sure. Our 68 is well underway in the restoration (still much to do though) and has been idle and tore apart since 1979. That color I like.......
Again, have fun and welcome aboard.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,485 Posts
Yeah....am bit disappointed it wasn't Island Teal :), but ANY color looks good on a 68 !:yes:

Lookin' forward to your progress....:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts