Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i need some help with my radio. i got this car the radio doesnt seem to turn on, although its plugged in.

can anyone link me or tell me how the radio circuit works. it looks like there its a 4 wire plug thatgoes into it and thats it. i was thinking there would be the power line, 2 wires, then speaker lines to the back, 4 wires, to make 6 wires. but i only see 4.

however, as the 4 wires come out of the radio they go into another plug line and after that theres some shielding so its hard to see whats going on but some how two pairs of oh black speaker wires come out of it. anyways i havent put the volt metre on the wires yet except for the speaker wires (no juice) to see if theres power going to the radio but i am very itnerested in specs so i can have more troubleshooting knowledge.

it was funny, when i got this car the origional speakers were there. one bouncing around in the trunk. the other on the floor behind the drivers seat with one wire pluged in the other not. looks like they were trying to get it working then decided to sell it, dont know.. i hate ebay cars that are sold by someone who knows nothing about the car cos he bought it from someone else...

thank you.

·
Super Moderator
32,776 Posts
OE radio has four wires.
Orange wire for dial light, works with dash lights.
Power input, red
Speaker plug, green & green/black.
Chassis grounded via mounting bolts.

Single OE speaker is installed above heater controls in dash.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there doesnt seem to be any power on the red and ground so the circuit is dead. i also put a ohm meter on the green and black for the speaker output, turned the radio to the on position and the ohmmeter didnt change it shows an open circuit so that means the radio is dead too?

i cant figure out how to get the radio out either =[

·
Super Moderator
32,776 Posts
Ohmmeter should show resistance with no power on. Some is better then none.
Red wire may be a blown fuse at car fuse box. ACC or IGN selected on ignition switch?

Ohmmeter the orange wire to ground to see if bulb is good. You'll read bulb filament resistance.

Speaker will be AC voltage. Sometimes if no speaker hooked up, it may not show anything. Usually, if speaker hooked up, power applied, and turn on radio, speaker may give static meaning audio circuit is good and scratchy volume control. Disconnect power and spin volume knob fast to wipe off dirt.

If everything hears good, apply antenna with a good ground and tune for good station. It might work.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't test it right. The radio works fine, I had to remove the blown 2 amp fuse that was part of the red wire and i used a 5amp. I found a speaker wire and hookedit into one of the speakers that work and i got radio. now my delema is I need to find out how to trace speakerwires to where theyre supposed to go. theres one for the left and one for the right. someone brought the one for the left out to udner the back drivers side seat where i have the speaker hooked up on the flood and i need to move the wire to the trunk to hook them up where theyre suppsoed to be. for the right side speaker, it goes under the carpet but i cant find the end of it anywhere. no sign of the wires in the trunk. i guess ill have to pay someone to do that for me. and also thers no speaker hookup for under the dash

also, can soemone tell me how to tune into the AM stations on this old radio. it has 2 am pre set buttons but it only tunes into fm stations

·
Super Moderator
32,776 Posts
So, I read you have an AM/FM radio. OE radios are not stereo, I don't think yours is because of one speaker plug, meaning the only speaker would be the dash.

Hooking up more than one speaker will cause the audio amp to over power and no sound. Technology back then isn't nowhere near what it is today.

If OE radio, pushing on the AM buttom will shift the dial from the two functions. The radio is all mechanical in this respect.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
theres a red stereo light right on the thing that turns on when the signal is good and off when on a bad signal.. the two left and right wires are already ran out of the circuit. i can only trace one of them cos i dont want to remove the carpet and back seat

·
Super Moderator
32,776 Posts
I take it this is an aftermarket stereo radio, not an OE (original equipment)?

AM stations are kind of useless any more, better sound quality with FM, shorter range of reception, no static noise from lightening with FM as received in AM.

Only four connections on the back? If aftermarket radio, the dash light connection I suggested, may be the other channel. The other pair of speaker wires may be under the carpet further.

For better sound reproduction, speaker has a + and - side. Those speakers having the minus side going straight to chassis ground reproduce sound terribly because the speaker coil is part of the amplifier circuit, therby speakers needing both connections hooked up for better quality. So, the dash light terminal might be the speaker return connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts