Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have original 68 buckets in my car and the fit is horrible. I'm only 5"9 /150 pounds and im really sardined in this car. It is not just a lack of legroom , my head is about an inch from the headliner. bought track extenders from ecklers and they didn't line up right. they wouldn't allow the seat to slide back all the way because of the poor fitment. So I sent them back and now I am back to the drawing board. any advice?

Thanks for reading

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
5'9/150 lbs. and you are too big? I was that most of my life and always had room in both the 69 Camaro and 68 Firebird factory equipped. I'm a bit heavier today but I can still fit inside with no issues. Something sounds off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn’t agree more. I wish I knew what the problem was . The guy I bought the car from told me it was a factory vinyl top car. Well it was a hard top when I bought it & the buckets in it were huge & not camaro seats . I bought 95 z28 seats to put in it . I fit the car fine . Then I decided to take it back to original seats . Now I don’t fit again . Idk if this has anything to do with the roof switch or not . But I think it might explain some of the height issues . The length issue tho , idk . I’ve seen guys on YouTube over 6 feet tall get in these cars fine

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,425 Posts
Pictures, pictures, pictures. I'm just a little over 5'9" and I have no problem in my '69. Roof to floorpan is pretty much identical in all 1st Gens. Sounds like the PO might've stuck some SUV seats in there or something on a pedestal mount. Take some pix and also some measurements of the seat including front bolster height from the floor, rear of the seat to the floor when it's folded forward. Post up the pix so we can try to ID the problem seats. If you have pix of the Z28 seats, include them along with pix of the frames. Here's a picture of '96 Z28 seats. Are yours power? If so are they stuck in the high position?

Vehicle Car Window Motor vehicle Automotive design

The seat below is a Tahoe bucket, notice how high the pedestal is. If the PO stuck something like that in the car because he needed seats to sell it, that would be a bad mismatch.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Seat belt Window

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I couldn’t agree more. I wish I knew what the problem was . The guy I bought the car from told me it was a factory vinyl top car. Well it was a hard top when I bought it & the buckets in it were huge & not camaro seats . I bought 95 z28 seats to put in it . I fit the car fine . Then I decided to take it back to original seats . Now I don’t fit again . Idk if this has anything to do with the roof switch or not . But I think it might explain some of the height issues . The length issue tho , idk . I’ve seen guys on YouTube over 6 feet tall get in these cars fine
What does the floor mounting look like? Any modifications? There are a lot of fellas here that have seat changes. I'm sure you'll get some answers soon about it.

·
Premium Member
2,551 Posts
Something must not be right, or you sit real tall in the saddle, I'm 6'4", with stock seats and a helmet on I fit.
My TMI seats are a little taller and I still manage.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,425 Posts
Here's an owner who put 4th Gen Camaro seats in his 1st Gen. No problems other than making some tabs for the rear section of the 1998 seat rails. The fronts fit fine. Click the link if you're interested in how he did it.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Hood

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pictures, pictures, pictures. I'm just a little over 5'9" and I have no problem in my '69. Roof to floorpan is pretty much identical in all 1st Gens. Sounds like the PO might've stuck some SUV seats in there or something on a pedestal mount. Take some pix and also some measurements of the seat including front bolster height from the floor, rear of the seat to the floor when it's folded forward. Post up the pix so we can try to ID the problem seats. If you have pix of the Z28 seats, include them along with pix of the frames. Here's a picture of '96 Z28 seats. Are yours power? If so are they stuck in the high position?

View attachment 281147

The seat below is a Tahoe bucket, notice how high the pedestal is. If the PO stuck something like that in the car because he needed seats to sell it, that would be a bad mismatch.

View attachment 281148
I scrapped the 4th gen buckets and bought factory 68 buckets. thats whats in the car now. i will try to get some pics after work tomorrow. thank you

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Sure doesn't look like there is a problem there with those pics. Looks normal. What kind of give do the seat bottoms give you? Maybe you're not heavy enough to sink down into them???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure doesn't look like there is a problem there with those pics. Looks normal. What kind of give do the seat bottoms give you? Maybe you're not heavy enough to sink down into them???
zero give. they were just covered last month. ive been in them maybe 10 minutes. i thought this might be somewhat the culprit

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Could possibly be all you really need...some seat time. Problem I always had was wanting to sit HIGHER. Adding a tilt column helps me there these days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could possibly be all you really need...some seat time. Problem I always had was wanting to sit HIGHER. Adding a tilt column helps me there these days.
Been a year build. Hoping to get it out for a month before winter hits . Just bought track extenders from summit that promise 2 inches . Fingers crossed

·
Registered
281 Posts
If I remember correctly, TMI had a problem with their seat foam being to thick and it made you sit to high.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,425 Posts
Seat springs do start to sag over time. I’m not an upholsterer but I’ve heard some seats can be tightened up a little, don’t know if it applies to our 50 year old seats. My donor Trans Am seats are at the upholstery shop now and the drivers side is full power plus power lumbar. Gonna love having that much adjustability.

When I was out the other night, I ballparked head to headliner distance at about 5” or so and I’m a little over 5’9” tall. With the seat set back where I drive, the rear height from the top of the seat bottom cushion to the headliner is 34” right where the front of the seat back meets the bottom. It’s 29” from the front topmost part of the seat bottom cushion to the headliner, and there’s 9” above the headrest to the headliner.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have TMI sport foam and covers in my 67. With the drivers seat all the way back, measuring from the headliner to the seat bottom at the intersection with the seat back is 35". I also have TMI one piece headliner.
Thanks a ton for the measurements

1 - 20 of 20 Posts