Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have no idea why,, but sometimes,, i turn the key and nothing,, not even a sound,,,, any i dea what the hell this is??

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Ignition switch? Ignition Relay? Nuetral safety switch? Bad Starter? Heat soaked Starter. Solenoid? Dead Battery? Loose/weak battery cable/corrosion? Bad Ground? Steering column connection? Bad kharma? Seriously, could be a number of things. Start with the easiest thing and proceed from there, in order, in relative ease of testing/replacement. I know how you feel, my 69' has done the same thing to me about half a dozen times. Only happens when I pull up to a stop in gear, and then put it in neutral. Nothing will get it to turn over, but if I bump start it, drive it for a minute or two, and stop it in neutral, it will start again. It's been driving me nuts for along time now, still haven't figured it out! If it weren't a standard, I'd really been in trouble! Good luck! KZ

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah its quite annoying,, pushing my car outta traffic to figure what the hell is goin on...

my light do turn on and i am runnin power but not even a click from the engine,, grrrrrrrrrr,,, i will have someone look at it, grrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this happen years ago to my 69. Sometimes it would just die and nothing would work, not even a click. Some times I would just walk out and it was dead. After a lot of frustration and trouble shooting I happened to reach up under the starter and nearly fried my hand. Turns out the spring clamp that goes around the solenoid and holds the battery cable in place wore through the cable. When they touched it was a short to ground

·
In the 10's Moderator
19,783 Posts
KZ,
did you leave out anything..ha ha

------------------
My68Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I HAD THE SAME SAME PROB. WITH MY 67,MOST
OF THE TIME TIME IT WOULD START UP JUST
LIKE NEW, THEN WHEN I WOULD LEAST EXPECT IT
I WOULD TURN THE KEY , AND NOTHING WOULD
HAPPEN . NO CLICK ,NO NOTHING, WHILE THE
LIGHTS, HORN ,RADIO ECT.. ALL WORKED FINE.
TURNED OUT TO BE THE IGN.SWITCH, IT WAS ONLY
32 YEARS OLD ,IMAGINE THAT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts