Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good afternoon, i have a 68 camaro orginal everything 327 2 barrel carb w/power glide transmission, i have had the engine rebuilt as well as the transmission, my problem is the car lacks passing power, in otherwards once in a while when you press the gas pedal to the floor it will kick in but mainly she takes her time getting up to speed and doesnt have any kick.

I think this is a carb problem, as if the vacumm advance isnt kicking in or something i suppose, what do you think? im not trying to race or anything at all, after all its only a 2bb carb but still there should be some kind of passing power,

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
What's it have for gears? The 327 2bbl and powerglide came with something like 2.76 gears. It wasn't a quick car when it was new.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
good afternoon, i have a 68 camaro orginal everything 327 2 barrel carb w/power glide transmission, i have had the engine rebuilt as well as the transmission, my problem is the car lacks passing power, in otherwards once in a while when you press the gas pedal to the floor it will kick in but mainly she takes her time getting up to speed and doesnt have any kick.

I think this is a carb problem, as if the vacumm advance isnt kicking in or something i suppose, what do you think? im not trying to race or anything at all, after all its only a 2bb carb but still there should be some kind of passing power,
Sounds like it is doing what it was intended to do.Move the 68 down the road..thats about it.Vac advance does not kick in at wot.it lays back and allows the mechanical advance curve to take over total ign timing.I have made some mods to my 68 camaro to enhance performance over stock oem application.Your 327 would like a 700r4 auto trans.The deep 1st gear ratio of 3.06/1 would crutch your low torque and give you more range options and deliver more mpg at e-way speed with a lockup converter feature.All this..and still retain the 2 bbl carb.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I had same situation with 2bb 327, Powerglide transmission, and 2.73 gears. I decided for some easy, affordable upgrades. Here are some of them:

Swapped the Powerglide (1.76 first gear) for a TH350 (2.52 first gear).

Swapped the stock 210 hp heads (1.72 intake valves) for World S/R heads (1.94 intake valves) (similar to 275 hp 327 Camaro option).

Swapped the original intake/exhaust for 4bb carb, Edelbrock Performer intake, headers, and x-pipe with Dynomax turbo mufflers.

Cam change, gear change, Eaton Posi are other options you might consider. If you keep the 2.73 axle gears, a 700r4 transmission would improve take off, but its overdrive gear might give you pretty low rpms on the highway with a 327 (I welcome any other thoughts on this....)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand what you are all saying, i have done many modifications to my 67 camaro but this 68 that i own is all original with protecto plate, im not saying that the car should be fast what i am saying is even with the pedal to the floor it doesnt kcik in at all, every car has some sort of kick when stomping on the pedal, im not saying the car will go fast or anything but it should be able to push it into gear thus i feel i have a carb problem because once in a while it does work

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
ii am saying is even with the pedal to the floor it doesnt kcik in at all, every car has some sort of kick when stomping on the pedal,
Are you telling us that sometimes when you're cruising along and stomp the gas, the car downshifts to first "passing" gear and sometimes it doesn't?

That would be a problem of sorts then.

There is a linkage attached to the carb, it runs back under the throttle rod, to a bellcrank that crosses the back of the engine and then another rod down to a lever on the transmission. The whole mess should move when you press the gas, to tell the trans how much power you are asking for.

It should kick down to first when you floor it. Certainly at 40, maybe at 50 also. Not much faster than that, it'll run out of rpms.

That linkage should be checked to make sure it's working properly, and adjusted properly.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts

Do a tune up (plugs cap rotor wires filter) and advance the timing.
Even a 327/210hp powerglide with 2.73 rear gears should have a little V8 punch to it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds like it's not downshifting into "passing gear" as we used to call it back in the good ole days. At say 40 MPH and you manually shift down into low, does it seem to have some get-up-and-go then? If so, then do what Jim says.

There is a linkage attached to the carb, it runs back under the throttle rod, to a bellcrank that crosses the back of the engine and then another rod down to a lever on the transmission. The whole mess should move when you press the gas, to tell the trans how much power you are asking for.

It should kick down to first when you floor it. Certainly at 40, maybe at 50 also. Not much faster than that, it'll run out of rpms.

That linkage should be checked to make sure it's working properly, and adjusted properly.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes its as jim says i think there is a linkage problem, the car runs great engine totally rebuilt electric ignition eben the original transmission was rebuilt, what i am saying is just that its not down shifting or what ever it wont push at all i will have to check the linkage out, i notice the spring etc, this has to be something simple, thats why i think its a carb problem once in a while it does kick in when stomping on the pedal other wise you have to wait for some time to catch up to speed,

the tarnsmission is a power glide everything automatic what are you guys saying by wait until she gets to 40mph then manually do it? at 40 i have no problem speeding up its getting up to 40 that is the slow part lol, are you guys saying get her to 40mph then down shift manually like to d2 or something?

·
Super Moderator
32,600 Posts
Yes, cruising at 40 mph and going to WOT should force a downshift just as if you manually shifted to first and go to WOT. The results should be the same.

If the trans is not downshifting, then an adjustment should be checked and made, if needed.
Remove the air cleaner.
Have an assistant hold the throttle to the floor.
Observe throttle plates to make sure they are open fully. if not, shorten the linkage rod at the carb attachment.
If throttle is adjusted, make sure it returns to idle/closes.
Hold throttle open.
Bottom linkage rod on carb is for PG kickdown. Can the rod be pulled forward?
If rod can be pulled, needs adjustment. Release throttle, pull off k/down linkage, open throttle to WOT.
Pull k/down rod forward; you will feel resistance on the last 1/2 inch of travel. This is the 'kickdown' portion.
The front oval of the k/down rod should match the front of carb stud, as in slip over it. If not, adjust the length of the k/down rod to match.
Close throttle, attach k/down rod, attach spring, go to WOT, and does throttle return? Make sure it returns.
Reinstall air cleaner.

Test drive. Stop sign to WOT, trans should upshift at about 5000 rpm/60 mph, depending upon rear gear ratio. Cruise at 30-45 mph, WOT, should downshift.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
If you keep the 2.73 axle gears, a 700r4 transmission would improve take off, but its overdrive gear might give you pretty low rpms on the highway with a 327 (I welcome any other thoughts on this....)
By all means..a low torque 327 might struggle at low e-way speed in od..locked up.This could be corrected by manually selecting D3 for those driving conditions.I am thinking more like 70 mph on the flat interstate..the v8 327 with mild cam timing should be happy with the low rpm,s.Now 50 mph cruise and inclines or a heavy head wind may require the manual selection.I think the more ranges available..allows you to find the sweet spot the engine wants to operate in under varying conditions and road speeds.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
Dont just wind up the advance on the timing..u can end up doing damage bu over advancing the total
A couple slightly lighter springs on the counterweights makes a suprisingly more peppy and responsive stock engine

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
at 40 i have no problem speeding up its getting up to 40 that is the slow part lol, are you guys saying get her to 40mph then down shift manually like to d2 or something?[/QUOTE]

I think thats the key we need to help him.
If you are having a problem getting to 40 mph its not the trans or linkage it may be thats all the power its got or some light tweeking to tune related things may be needed. Check your advance and base timming. If you have points still, adjust those to spec first. If you have little power after that and no other symptoms you may have a carb problem. Start with just the basic tune stuff first. A little rich or lean can cost you alot of power!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes its the getting up to 40mph to begin with that is slow after no biggie crusing at 90-100 lol, i dont have points when the engine was redone i also had it converted to MSD, its not missing or anything, i think i have a carb problem i really do

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, cruising at 40 mph and going to WOT should force a downshift just as if you manually shifted to first and go to WOT. The results should be the same.

If the trans is not downshifting, then an adjustment should be checked and made, if needed.
Remove the air cleaner.
Have an assistant hold the throttle to the floor.
Observe throttle plates to make sure they are open fully. if not, shorten the linkage rod at the carb attachment.
If throttle is adjusted, make sure it returns to idle/closes.
Hold throttle open.
Bottom linkage rod on carb is for PG kickdown. Can the rod be pulled forward?
If rod can be pulled, needs adjustment. Release throttle, pull off k/down linkage, open throttle to WOT.
Pull k/down rod forward; you will feel resistance on the last 1/2 inch of travel. This is the 'kickdown' portion.
The front oval of the k/down rod should match the front of carb stud, as in slip over it. If not, adjust the length of the k/down rod to match.
Close throttle, attach k/down rod, attach spring, go to WOT, and does throttle return? Make sure it returns.
Reinstall air cleaner.

Test drive. Stop sign to WOT, trans should upshift at about 5000 rpm/60 mph, depending upon rear gear ratio. Cruise at 30-45 mph, WOT, should downshift.
what do you mean by "WOT" ?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Does the powerglide have a vacumm modulator?? or is it the T350? Any way, check your p/g if it has one, on driver side I believe. Its a cheap part and easily over looked when rebuilding cause not thought a major part, but if not working, then its delivering low vacuum, if at all, at slow speeds, and works fine at high speeds cause of more vacuum from engine. Its not your 2barrell, if its idling fine and ranges, their ok. Its definitely the tranny not getting linkage movement or vacuum to shift first and second gears.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If I read what he is saying, he is having an issue getting the car to speed up to 40mph. Even in low gear, he can't get the car to accelerate to 40mph, that quickly. We have to put the downshift out of the equation for a moment. From a dead stop(low gear) the time it takes him to get to 40mph, is what he is complaining about. Under acceleration, or WOT, from a dead stop, the tranny should not shift to high gear until you hit around 50-60mph, especially with a 210hp 327, which more than likely came with a 2.73 rear. We have to figure out why his "dead stop" acceleration is so poor. Unfortunately, with a 210hp 327, Powerglide, and a 2.73 rear, the "dead stop" acceleration is not going to be that great anyway. It never was when the car was brand new. Now, if you are ok with changing to a 4bbl(Quadrajet), a cam swap and either a different set of rear gears or a TH-350, you can pick up some "dead stop" acceleration. I have a Powerglide, but my gears are 4.10's. I have no problem getting up to 40mph. Check the initial timing and also your total timing. You can pick up a little accel. by advancing the initial timing a bit, but you can't go overboard or you can do some damage. I would start by advancing it to around 10*-12* initial and go with around 26*-28* total. See where that gets you.

·
Registered
13,338 Posts
You can pick up a little accel. by advancing the initial timing a bit, but you can't go overboard or you can do some damage. I would start by advancing it to around 10*-12* initial and go with around 26*-28* total. See where that gets you.
26/28 total intial +cent is still very low, an underadvanced engine either in the amount of advance and/or to slower speed losses a lot of grunt quick
MAYBE even the counterweights are stuck or not swinging free.

Check the advance from the top end and work back...ie disconnect vac advance, with a tach and timing light set the total to around the 35 to 38 for a stock engine....lower for higher compression engine.
Dont set timing by ear or vac gauge

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the issue isnt resolved, once in a while when i hard press the pedal the car will get up and go is this a throttle connection or kick down cable problem, please help, the car goes 110 mph once she takes her time but if i want to pass you because you are going slow there is no kick. i can get up to 40 mph but every car including a bug has a passing punch when you hard press the gas pedal.

Thus when i hard press the gas pedal there is no speed up just gradually excellerates in speed , i hope this better explains the problem so that people can help me a bit more, thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts