Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had my 68 SS for 11 years and over those years I have not done any suspension works. No shocks, springs, bushing etc. Over this time I have put about 40K miles on the car. It's a great driver!!

So I just recently put on some 17" rims 275/40's rear and 245/45's up front. All was good with minor rubbing on the front passenger side until last night when I added about 400lbs with the addition of three passengers. I had rubbing in the rear and up front on a regular basis from the restaurant.

So my question is can I get away with just shocks and springs or would you all recommend bushing and other upgrades. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I plan on keeping the car and want to do it right.

So let me know what you would recommend.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
/Users/user/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Modified/2009/Oct 2, 2009/IMG_0991.JPG

Here is what the car looks like today.

Dave

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Often old springs can still support the car weight but are hyper sensitive to added weight and collapse easily. I would consider some springs like Hotchkis. Don't worry about the spring drop being to low, it is likely you worn springs already ride at a lower then factory height.

Also, if your rubing on the front tire it may not be springs or bushings (although it could be either or both) I may simply be alighnment specs. it might just be not enough negative camber?

It is pretty easy to do a visual inspection of the bushings. If the bushings are good I would go springs, shocks alignment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts