Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 68 Camaro with Weld wheels. The wheel wells are stock, the fender lips are not rolled, and it has CalTrac springs and bars. I'd like to get a second set of wheels. I want the Torq Thrust II wheels. I'd like to put 18x10 on the rear, and 17x9 on the front. Does anyone KNOW FOR SURE if this combo will work? Or anyone know for certain what the biggest rear combo is that will work on this car? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Search button........

From all the measuring I did you only have 11" on the inside well to play with, MAX. So a 10" rim is really 11" then you have tire bulge, say 1/4. So no is your awnser. A 275 tire measures 11'" and if you put it on a 10" rim it would look funny.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm searching the forum also...

It currently has Weld 15x8 wheels with 28x12.5 ET Street tires...

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts

Your rear must be up right? Are you past the lip on the outer fender?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your rear must be up right? Are you past the lip on the outer fender?
It sits on Caltrac springs and bars. I think it's really close to stock height. Does not appear to be past the lip. Here are 2 pics.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
How much clearance do you have between the tire and fender lip? Does it ever rub over bumps? I have the Hotchkis kit , so those tires would never work on my car.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

12.5 being the width?

How do you fit that on an 8 inch rim?
I have 15X8's too with a 275 60R15 on there. I've been trying to figure out how I can get a 10 inch wide rim on mine.

·
20,023 Posts
28/12.5 and stock wheelwells ??? I don't see it. I'm running 285's which come out to 11.25" and they're tight. Hard corners or off camber bumps they rub the inner well. 285/60/15 SH (SH=short) McCrearys

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.gearhead R U sure that Camaro is not mini tubed?
Definitely no mini-tubs. Stock setup. I think the 15x8 wheels pull the sidewalls and narrow it a bit. Just a hunch.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
hmm draglite rims pinned hood? theres something about the rear of that car? shocks relocated? I cant see how that tire fits like that..

I got the My 275s like 28 high on my uncles camaro for reference and it sticks out of the fender like 2-3 inches and only has about an inch before the 15" rim hits the shock perch so it would still stick outta the fender. plus the tires on that car look way bigger?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hmm draglite rims pinned hood? theres something about the rear of that car? shocks relocated? I cant see how that tire fits like that..

I got the My 275s like 28 high on my uncles camaro for reference and it sticks out of the fender like 2-3 inches and only has about an inch before the 15" rim hits the shock perch so it would still stick outta the fender. plus the tires on that car look way bigger?
I'll check the shock mounting points. The car is in a garage 2 hours away until next weekend. I'm not sure if the shock mounts are moved a bit when the Caltrack leaf setup is installed. I'm a coil spring guy. I have to brush up on my Camaros now. Maybe someone else would know that?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I also have a 26x12.50x15 m/t sportsman on an 8.5" wheel with factory wheelwells. I don't know the backspacing since the wheels were purchaced 15 years ago.
Mine has Lakewood traction bars that the shocks mount to. I don't know how they fit either, but they do. I want to upgrade to a 17 or 18inch wheel to get into the 21st century in the worst way!!! when I unbolt them I can post the offset

1 - 13 of 13 Posts