Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1968 Camaro. The car had previously been sitting at a relative's house for about six years before I bought it, but it was in good enough condition to drive home. It is a 327, and has a Holley intake manifold, and a Holley Economaster model #7456 4 bbl carburetor installed on it. It had problems at idle, and slow speeds because fuel kept leaking in small amounts from the venturis in the primary barrels. I recently bought a rebuilt identical carb off of e-bay, and installed it. When I first started it up it idled perfectly, and didn't even run rough when the choke was all the way in. When I took it for a test drive, and stopped to turn around, the engine cut out. When I tried to start it again it took a long time, and when I looked into the carb fuel was dripping in large amounts from the upper venturis in both the primary AND secondary barrels, and fuel actually started to puddle up down on the throttle valves. I managed to drive it home, but it ran very rough, and cut out at stops. I'm thinking it could be because of debris in the needle and seat, but since the fuel is contained in the actual casting and the carburetor doesn't have fuel bowls, or floats (I think), I'm not sure what could be plugged, or how I would go about checking for clogs. If anyone has any information on the diagnosis, or repair on this specific model it would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome to the board fellow CHEESEHEAD 450 CFM Spreadbore Economaster Carb List #7456. The low end torque is better than the Q-jet, and the power curve much smoother because of the even bore configuration.
Standard Features:
Mechanical Secondaries
#215 Primary Jets
#550 Secondary Jets
All Metal Power Valve - No Rubber Components to Blow out or Fail
#28 Primary Pump Shooter
.110” Viton Needle & Seat
Since there is no floats it would seem that this could be the problem...
Possibly non adjustable
http://www.kosiski.com/Catalog/cpg36.htm

[ 05-01-2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: Trick1 ]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts