Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a 68 which has no title. The guy purchased the car 20 years ago and never titled it in his name. How do you go about obtaining a title in this situation? I live in Maryland, you need a title for everything in this state.

TIA

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
I recently found a 68 which has no title. The guy purchased the car 20 years ago and never titled it in his name. How do you go about obtaining a title in this situation? I live in Maryland, you need a title for everything in this state.

TIA
Google "Car Titles" and see what you can find. There are a lot of companies that deal with this issue.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If you are lucky enough to know a police officer in Maryland, he can run the Vin and find out who it was last registerd to. The DMV can too but the long wait in those DMV lines is killer. If you can find the last owners maybe they would get a duplicate title for you.
I would try this first and if you have no luck you need to find out if the car is clean by all means. Then in the back of ROD and Custom magazine there is an add that says "TITLES" The guy is in New Hampshire. Call him.
Been there!

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
If you are lucky enough to know a police officer in Maryland, he can run the Vin and find out who it was last registerd to. The DMV can too but the long wait in those DMV lines is killer. If you can find the last owners maybe they would get a duplicate title for you.
I would try this first and if you have no luck you need to find out if the car is clean by all means. Then in the back of ROD and Custom magazine there is an add that says "TITLES" The guy is in New Hampshire. Call him.
Been there!
If you go this route,make sure you at least have a bill of sale from who you bought it from.Playing devils acvocate here,but if you get the last person who had the car titled to get a duplicate and hes lacking in the morals department then with title in hand he can claim the car as his own and you got nothin.Just a thought and with it being a 68 camaro and the money these cars are bringing I wouldnt put it past some folks

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Without a title in hand I would have to be getting a GREAT deal on the car, to risk going thru the hassle potential loss etc.. of buying a car w/no title. However if your thinking about buying a car w/o title here are some suggestions. There have been several posts about the hassle of no title for car on this site.

DO NOT spend alot on the car, because if it turns up stolen, you loose it all.

I would only consider this on a project car or, track/strip toy.

If you do buy w/no title 1st thing you do is try to get a clear title, etc... do not spend any on the car, because as I said if its stolen, you loose the car usually.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

TIA
You say the guy never titled it in his name. Does that mean he has the title from the previous owner or not? An incorrect title would be handled differently than a missing title.
You would still need to verify it hasn't been stolen in any case. But here is one route if you end up with the car and want to do the leg work.
http://www.broadwaytitle.com/lost-automobile-titles.htm

·
Registered
753 Posts
When I purchased my '68, the title was in a previous owners name and had a missing VIN plate. The car had switched hands 2 times without getting retitled. (It was essentially a box of parts both times :) )
I did my research before hand and made sure I had all the paperwork required to document the sale of the car according to KS law. Because of the paperwork I did during the sale, the process of reassigning a VIN plate and titling was pretty simple. It was a little stressful when I noticed I had a missing VIN, but everything worked out in the end.
As long as you do your homework and document everything you can, I think you should be fine. I wouldn't have a problem with going through the same process again to get a good deal.

·
13,742 Posts
This thread is 13 years old.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts