Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a 68 standard rear seat be converted to a read folding seat? Is there a kit, or will I have to locate an origonal? I believe that the seat is narower. Perhaps it is as simple as new cushion,springs and the necessary hardware.

I appreciate any assistance.

·
Retired
16,008 Posts
I think 68 and 69 are the same size. A folding seat is narrower and it requires arm rest type side panels where the window control is too. There also is hardware that bolts to the back of the upright frame to hold the back rest up. Both seat and back rest are narrower than standard seat package.
I dont know how much trouble you will have trying to shorten the seat part of back rest part, sounds like more trouble than its worth. Good luck
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've never looked at a 68 folding rear seat. I can, however, state with confidence and first-hand experience that the folding rear seat in the 67 is about the most worthless option I've seen on any car.

I've owned the car since 89 and just found out this year that the car even had the option. When I folded down the rear seat, my reaction was, "Why would anyone want this option?"

Good luck.

------------------
K.A. Young

67 SS 350
PowerGlide AT
AC, Deluxe Interior

Daily Driver

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hilite
My 68 came with a fold down and the seat is completely different and don't think you could convert.
I put my down at car shows and listen to people walk by and say "wish I had a fold down seat" other than that it's about worthless.
Bill

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The answer to the original question is no you can not convert your existing seat to a fold down seat. You can however get a fold down seat and install it in your car. You must have a deluxe interior or a convertible in 68 or 69, as the fold down seat is physically shorter than a standard coupe rear seat and you need the arm rests that came in a deluxe interior car.

Each year is also physically different. The 67's were held up just by a friction latch, 68 and 69 had a latch similar to the one that holds the front seats upright. 69 has a notch in the corner for this latch, 68's don't. They are all attached to brackets that weld to the floor under the seat.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
11,296 Posts

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
There are better uses for a beauty queen and high heals!

Mark,

Thanks for the information on the different seat types. Are there differences between 67-8-9 hinge assemblies? Mine, I was told, are for a '68. The main bar that bolts to the side of the seatback is made of 1" (or so) flat bar stock.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

[This message has been edited by CarlC (edited 09-05-2002).]

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback.
So, now that it apprears that everyone does not like the rear folding seat, why not sell me yours?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't want to be a pain but I have to dissagree with MarkC. I have a 68 coupe fold down rear seat and a standard interior and that's the way the general made it.
Sorry Bill

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
What MarkC meant, is that the fold down seat is narrower than the normal seat. It is the same as the convertible, or delux seat, as they had the arm rest panels.

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Ok,
I have been following this for a few days and the more I read the more I get confused!
So....let see if we can get me back on track!

I thought the fold down seat and the convertible were the same size?

I thought the arm rest with the ash trays fit the convertible and fold down seat?

I thought you could have the deluxe interior either the full lenght rear seat or the convertible/fold down?

I thought there were 2 deluxe style rear interior panels? One with and one without ash trays?

I have a 68 coupe with deluxe interior. There are no rear ash trays. If you have the book "Camaro Restoration Guide" by Jason Scott look on page 250 top left hand picture and that is what I have.

I feel like the Aflac duck trying to figure out Yoggi!

Thanks

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car

[This message has been edited by cpodeep (edited 09-07-2002).]

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
There is only one length fold down seat for al three years and it is the same width as a convertible seat. You many not need a deluxe interior to get a fold down seat in a coupe, but you do need the rear panels with the arm rests in them. There is some kind of an adapter piece that is used to connect the arm rest panel to the sail panel that also fills the gap around the back of the back seat. If you have the 67-69 Camaro Fact book by Dobbins and Incremona there is a picture of it on page 111.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
MarkC,
I agree with everything you have said in your last posting. Thank you very much for clearing it up!

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts