Team Camaro Tech banner

68 D90 STRIPE SUGGESTIONS

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  169indy 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Looking for any current suggestions regarding adding the D90 stripe on my 68, I know there are a heap of threads regarding this topic but I want to know if anyone has done this recently as hear / read mixed reports on the stencil kits you can buy, I have also looked at AIMs but I'm not too confident getting it correct off that one page of instructions.
Thanks

#2 ·
One of the most butchered stripes out there... I've seen so many incorrect variations that look horrible from too fat, too skinny, completely wrong lines around the nose cone, etc, and it completely ruins the look.

There are two ways you can approach this - factory correct I believe is paint on front fenders/header panel and decals on the door or you can go paint/decals the entire stripe.

Stencil and stripe (3M) kit:

Stencils only (for full paint application):

Follow the instructions and measurements that come with the stencils, triple check measurements against assembly manual and look at verified correct examples when in doubt. Once you're absolutely sure that it's correct - start laying them down in your preferred way. Feel free to post up detailed photos during the process and I'm sure we can guide you.

PS, I see you're in Australia - I am too. PM me if you need any assistance with your 68. I own and have built more than my fair share. I'm in WA but happy to help out in any way I can.

#3 ·
Good morning Steve,
Thank you. I have not really had the best luck personally with the stencil kits. I tried to use one when I painted the D90 on my Butternut Yellow SSRS because like yourself, I wanted it to be correct, but unfortunately couldn't get it to work for me. Most likely it was just user error on my part, but I think the only part of the stencil kit I ended up using was just the small piece on the right fender behind the wheel well to the door. The rest the stripe, I just free handed with some 1/8 fine line tape. I can't say it's perfect, but I am happy with the way it turned out for the most part and have done a few cars over the years this way.

Should you decide to free hand it as I have, I would recommend setting your emblems in place before you lay it out & use them as a guide, this way the stripe will be in the correct location in conjunction to the emblems, especially the engine size emblems at the front of the fenders. That is where I've noticed most people get it off when I see cars online. The rest of the stripe is pretty straight forward for the most part, just try and keep it a uniform width & straight over the body line of the fender & door as you start too taper the width on the door.
I hope this helps & good luck..
Nick

#5 ·
Nick hit the NAIL on the Head Always give your painter or you use an emblem during layout. It will help immensely. I got bit by replacement fender a previous owner incorrectly drilled off by even a small amount resulted in alignment issue & then when you figure it out it is way to late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.