Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone out there know the correct procedure to intall the stainless steel trim pieces on the front of a 68 dash pad? The little tabs on the back of the trim don't seem to line up with the holes on my pad. :confused: I assume these tabs are supposed to fit into holes at the front bottom of the pad. Also, the curve of the trim leaves a gap at each corner (at the 90 degree bends in the trim) between the trim and the pad. Is this normal? I just got my pad back from "just dashes" and am using the original trim - so it should fit !!! Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
When I had a 68 Camaro, I had the dash pad redone by just dashes as well and it had the chrome trim. First I straightened the sharp tabs perfectly 90 degrees out (straight) only on the horizontal part of the pad, not the "leg" part. I marked on the pad where each tab was with the trim against the "leg". Then I flattened the tabs and straightened out the tabs on the "leg" and marked each one. Using an awl I punctured each tab hole. Since the dash pad will still have the origianl metal backing, the holes are still present under the new foam pad. They all pretty much aligned with the original holes and the corner was tight with a very minor gap.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I took your advice and fit up the trim as best I could. It looks as though there is going to be about a 1/8" to 3/16" gap right at each corner between the trim and the pad. Does that sound about right? I'm kind of nervous about punching holes in the pad if I don't have things lined up right..... Thanks again!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I sent my trim pieces to Just Dashes with the trim. At this time, I haven't received the dash but I assume they will fit it properly. Has anyone out there done the same and received good results?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Sorry folks, I meant to say I sent the trim pieces with the dash.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Stope4
I sent my pad and trim peice to Just Dashes as well. They did install it for me. You might want to call them and ask them to do it for you just to make sure. By the way, you'll be 100% satisfied with the results. Mine looks incredible. They do great work.
Crane's 68 - I have a slight gap at the rounded corners on mine as well. Just the way things fit back then. You don't see it when it's installed because of the way the pad is "angled" on the dash.
Dan '68 Convertible

1 - 6 of 6 Posts