Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the headlight,wiper,ignition switches need to touch bare metal on the dash where they screw into? I am painting my dash and wondered if I needed to scrape the paint where the mechanical contact (switch to dash) is for a better ground or if it matters Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I know 100% for sure the wiper switch does, I believe the others don't but I can't recall for sure. I had a wiper problem with mine and it was the surface rust making a poor connection at the switch. Scratch to shiny bare metal and use a conductive substance like anti seize to help the connection (that's on the back side of the dash). The wiper switch actually uses a star washer between the switch and dash to help the contact.
If you are painting the dash, the center screw of the gauge cluster is a ground point as well, so make sure that's clean and bare as well. About 90% of the time that screw and ground strap gets missed and you dash lights do crazy stuff.
Good luck!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Sean is right; the wiper switch needs a ground. The other switches do not. The instrument cluster ground is a very common problem on 67 and 68 models. An alligator lead is a good troubleshooting tool. Hold the wiper switch in your hand and use the alligator lead to ground the switch body to the under-dash. Flip the switch and the wipers should wipe.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies! I have the dash painted and will be reassy shortly, I am having problems with the wipers only wanting to work when the switch was pushed in to engage the wiper pump motor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts