Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 68 Camaro has Deluxe houndstooth interior. The steering wheel is a standard wheel. My question is can a deluxe interior car have a standard steering wheel from the factory?

·
Registered
505 Posts
What do you mean by "standard wheel" The bace wheel in 68 had the brushed chrome finish with one horn button. The correct wheel for deluxe interior cars had two small horn buttons and a color keyed shroud. The optional wheel on any Camro in 68 was the simulated wood wheel.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think Brent's talking about the wheel that looks like the wheel w/ the brushed chrome but doesn't have the chrome insert. I've seen some like that and they were referred to as "standard" whereas the wheels with the chrome insert are usually called "deluxe" right?
Tybor

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
bbjhill, I can't notice from the picture, but are your door carpets flat or molded? The steering is the deluxe model, same as mine, but the carpets and the seats seems kinda different. Looks like standard seats...
Anyone can take a look at them and comment?

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 11-28-2001).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
The wheel in the picture is all painted interior color, I have gold interior and my wheel is part gold and part black on the shroud, this car was in storage for many years and was unmolested. Which paint scheme is correct?

TIA
JA

------------------
John P. Allen
Sunnyvale Ca.
68 RS, 327 w- A/C
70 Buick GS455 Convertible

[This message has been edited by pakual (edited 12-01-2001).]

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cave
Thanks a lot
JA

------------------
John P. Allen
Sunnyvale Ca.
68 RS, 327 w- A/C
70 Buick GS455 Convertible

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
While reading this post I was wondering if there is a company that restores steering wheels. I have a 68 SS with the original black deluxe wheel with the small SS emblem, but it is in bad shape, the wheel is cracked really bad all the way around. Got any suggestions

Thanks

------------------
68 SS BB project car

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Haven't hear of any business repairing them, but here are some repair kits for sale. I think one Co. is POR 15. I had the same problem you described with my deluxe steering w/SS emblem. I decided to repair it myself with good results. I used Epoxy to fill the cracks all around and sanded the excess, stripped the center part(be carefull with paint remover touching the horn buttons) and finnaly ordered a custom made Wheelskins leather cover. Good results and lots of people use a steering cover over the plastic steerings anyway.
Good luck

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 12-06-2001).]

·
Registered
387 Posts
There are several steering wheel restoration companies around. Check out this place. My friend used them for his 57 Chevy wheel. I don't think it is very cheap, but the quality is amazing.
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/parts/garys/

If you ship your wheel he will give you an estimate. If you choose not to get the work done he will return your wheel for free. Good luck!

------------------
Dave Richard
68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts