Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I purchased the parts to swap to front disc on my 68. I am pretty sure the parts came off a El Camino.......the front spindles came already assembled with caliper brackets and dust shields on them......finally got around to installing them this past week......

Now I have a question about caliper mounting and the dust shields.....the way they came assembled the dust shields are toward the rear of the car and the caliper bracket is bolted on so the caliper is mounted toward the front.....

Every picture I have seen shows the caliper mounted toward the rear of the vehicle and most do not have the dust shields installed.....

Which is correct?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Yup, 1st gen F-bodies have the caliper behind the spindle, and the A-bodies have them in front. If you can flip flop them and still have the caliper bleeders pointing up, they might still work.

If the spindles still have the steering arms attached, you'll want to re-use your Camaro arms. A-bodies are front steer (linkage ahead of the spindle), and the arms may have different bends than the F-body arms.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.....I still have the steering arms so I will swap them out and see if I can make things work..

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yup, 1st gen F-bodies have the caliper behind the spindle, and the A-bodies have them in front. If you can flip flop them and still have the caliper bleeders pointing up, they might still work.

If the spindles still have the steering arms attached, you'll want to re-use your Camaro arms. A-bodies are front steer (linkage ahead of the spindle), and the arms may have different bends than the F-body arms.

"A" bodies have the calipers facing rearward just like a Camaro. The only difference is the front steer. Just change to the Camaro steering arm.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Huh, then he has different setup, or someone has messed with it. What models have steering arms opposite the calipers? B-bodies?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Okay, I think I see where I was confused. When jblakes tried to mount what he has, with the steering arms to the rear, that put the calipers up front. Had those parts been mounted on a front steer car as is, the calipers would have been behind as they are supposed to be (on an A-body).

FWIW, B-bodies of that era do have the caliper out front, but are rear steer.

Don't mind me. Bad pain day + more than normal pain meds = incoherency

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The reason I think the set up is from a El Camino is because when I check'd the part number on the rotor box....it came up as that......the spindles, dust shields, steering arms, and caliper bracket were already assembled...

But now that I know the El Camino has front steer, that means that if the steering arms that came assembled on it face front, then the dust shields are also facing front.....it appears that If I swap them side to side and use the camaro steering arms things should be ok......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts