Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
About the only difference would the '68 has side markers and has coolant sensor part of the front harness rather than like a '67 having dark green temp sensor as part of the engine harness.

But yes, you could make it work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright, well i'd rather save the $100 and spend a few hours and just make this work, so can anyone point me to a 67 and 68 engine harness pinout?

My plan would be to buy a new socket and plug, map out the wires, remove the old socket from the body and replace with the new one and remove the old plug from the harness and replace with the correct plug.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
They may sell that stuff. Their catalog is limited as far as covering all possible plugs and pins on the harnesses... I bought some packard connectors and pins from Jegs (for a custom job) and other types from a Corvette place (radio power connector type so I can make a Y-adapter).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, can someone go out and look at their 67' and check something for me?
Do these look like the engine and wiring harness plugs?

http://www.pcsconnectors.com/2965977.aspx
http://www.pcsconnectors.com/2973484.aspx

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Im thinking that these are the ones but im not sure because im at college and cant go check on mine.

Also, which is the male/female, firewall plug or harness plug?

If they are the same, id only have to change the plugs on the harness; not on the car, which would be very nice.

Thanks in advance

·
Retired
26,693 Posts
Ryan - Not to be down on AAW, maybe it will be different for wiring parts but they told me they could rebuild my fiber optics but there was no way they were going to sell me the parts I wanted to do the job myself. They were not willing to point me toward anyone selling just the parts either.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ryan - Not to be down on AAW, maybe it will be different for wiring parts but they told me they could rebuild my fiber optics but there was no way they were going to sell me the parts I wanted to do the job myself. They were not willing to point me toward anyone selling just the parts either.
I getcha, I talked to them and they wouldn't sell me the connectors, just pointed me to a supplier that "may" carry them. That is what I just previously posted... but I realized that they wont work; they are 8 pin and the 67' has 2 10 pins. So, i'm still looking, wish me luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, so I'm still working on finding the correct plug, but in the meantime i'm preparing, even if i would have to use totally new ones.

So, i'm trying to map the 68 wires to the 67 wires. I feel pretty confident with what I have, but there's a few spots i'm not sure of (indicated by a ?). If anyone could look over this a little I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have schematics of both the 67 and 68, and using flyingskibiker's 68 pinout I made a 67 pinout and indicated where each wire went to according to his. I hope its easy enough to follow...

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
54, Pink/black, Key Minder, in a '68, has no purpose in a '67.
67 Purple, Parking lights, would be '68 Brown, position 53.
Front turn signals are blue, light & dark.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks Everett, now that that's cleared up im about ready to move forward.
Or maybe not...

I talked to several distributors looking to get the connectors for the 67 harness, but many places said they bought theirs from AAW, and despite my plea, AAW will not sell me a couple of the connectors that are apparently produced on site.

Also, many of the salesman assured me that even with new plugs the 68 harness would not work on the 67. Now, I really dont believe a paid salesman sitting behind a desk, but are we sure that the wires are compatible?

Either way, I'm going to see if I can just sell it and take the money and buy the 67 harnesses... but I dont know how well that will go, because id really have to sell it dirt cheap for someone to pick it over a new one.

If I cant make some money on it after a week or so, Ill begin transplanting some new plugs.

ONE MORE THING! If anyone knows anyone who has old 67 junk harnesses and wants to part with the connectors on the end, PLEASE CONTACT ME! :)

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
thanks Everett, now that that's cleared up im about ready to move forward.
Or maybe not...

I talked to several distributors looking to get the connectors for the 67 harness, but many places said they bought theirs from AAW, and despite my plea, AAW will not sell me a couple of the connectors that are apparently produced on site.

Also, many of the salesman assured me that even with new plugs the 68 harness would not work on the 67. Now, I really dont believe a paid salesman sitting behind a desk, but are we sure that the wires are compatible?

Either way, I'm going to see if I can just sell it and take the money and buy the 67 harnesses... but I dont know how well that will go, because id really have to sell it dirt cheap for someone to pick it over a new one.

If I cant make some money on it after a week or so, Ill begin transplanting some new plugs.

ONE MORE THING! If anyone knows anyone who has old 67 junk harnesses and wants to part with the connectors on the end, PLEASE CONTACT ME! :)
I wish I had a good one to send you. The plastic clips tend to break on the 67s when you take them off.

Can you use the one already on your car. I know that you'll be sol until you get a 67 harness if you use your clip and it doesn't work.

Best of luck

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish I had a good one to send you. The plastic clips tend to break on the 67s when you take them off.

Can you use the one already on your car. I know that you'll be sol until you get a 67 harness if you use your clip and it doesn't work.

Best of luck
Ill have to check my car out when i get home from college on Friday and see what's there... You have some old ones that youre not using now? Despite the clips, If the connectors slide into each other as they should im sure i can come up with a way to get them to stay together...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts