Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 68 Camaro has no wiring connected to the stock fuel gauge. Can I just connect a switched on 12 volt lead to one stud and then the wire going to the sending unit to the other stud and get an accurate reading? Is there supposed to be something else connected to the back of the fuel gauge like a resistor? I can't seem to find the original 3 wire connector up under the dash for it. And since someone else wired the car for the 94 LT1 engine, I don't want to mess around with changing any wiring, I'll run a new wire back to the sending unit if that's all I have to do.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Jeff:
That will work. The fuel gauge only a stud for the power connection and a stud for the sending unit connection, and a ground. Original fuel guages did have a resistor to calibrate the guage correctly. The resistor is behind/attcahed to the studs on the gauge. Baiscally looks like a small white piece of "plastic" wrapped with wire. You should be able to see it by just looking at the back of the gauge.

Dan
'68 Convertible

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I noticed the resistor is on there. My sending unit is measuring too high though. It was reading 120 ohms with a full tank and is now down to 112 ohms. I'll keep an eye on the gauge to see if it moves. I think the previous owner modified the sending unit to work with the fuel injection and return line so I don't really want to mess with it if I can get my gauge to read something meaningful.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it matter which post on the fuel gauge the power lead goes on and which post goes to the sending unit? There is nothing labeled on the back of the gauge.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which terminal is the which? There is nothing on the back of the gauge that shows I or S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts