Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard the heater box on a 68 Camaro was different on a 396 as opposed to a 350 or smaller engine. Can anyone tell me what the difference is? I want to know if my 68 Camaro originally had a 396 in it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't tell you if the heater box is from a 396 or not but I can tell you of my experiences with replacing the heater core in my 230 L6.

I was given the heater core for a 396 and because of the additional thickness to the core it wouldn't fit. (I tried it anyway and wound up crushing the thing) I can only assume that a 396 heater box is a little deeper than that of a smaller engined car.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dan,
Does your heater hoses at the firewall come out of the heater box or are they to the right of the heater box? If they are coming out of the heater box, it is a big block casing.
But from my experience, that doesn't necessarily mean it was origianlly a big block car.

Kevin

------------------
68 Camaro SS - In Resto

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The heater hoses come out directly from the box. Do you know of any other ways of distinguishing this car as a big block? I would sure be interested in any info you may have. thanks
Dan

·
20,666 Posts
Dan,
go to "tag team",and post your cowl and vin numbers , those guys will get you what you need.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.