Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS clone, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor, trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 68 BB 454 Camaro and the console temp gauge s not working. I dont have schematics yet until next week and I really dont want to drive without a gauge. The motor is a fresh rebuild and I notice a new sender in the intake. I bought a new Standard brand TS6 sender because it was cheap and I was there, but does the OEM gauge take an OEM replacement sender to work together?
Does anyone know if there are any common things to look for between the gauge and sender? Without any diagrams I dont want to start tearing into anything blindly. Thanks

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You can check continuity of the wire at sender to the back of the gauge using a DVM to confirm if that signal wire is not broken. There should be a +12v to gauge you could also meter with KOEO. The ground from gauge to some ground point under dash

I believe temp sensors are not one size fits all in terms of resistance values so just get a replacement one specific to your car/motor and if that is what you bought it should be fine.

You can buy a IR temp gun and measure T stat housing and other water jacket ports (heater hose connections) to see what engine is operating at now just to get a idea of current operating temps. There should be about a 20 degree difference between the temps of upper & lower radiator hoses

·
Premium Member
68 Camaro SS/RS clone, 454 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor, trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I have all of the above to check it out. I looked on Rock Auto and they list a TS6 (male pin terminal) as OEM replacement from 55-70ish, and TS11 as for 68 Camaro (spade terminal).

·
Super Moderator
32,351 Posts
The gauge circuit can be checked by unplugging the wire from sensor and hook up a 0-5K, or 0-2K ohm rheostat/variable resistor, or a 200 ohm resistor.
Hook between wire and ground, single resistor wshould show midscale on gauge, and rheostat when rotated slowly, needle should follow - lower resistance = higher temp.

If you replace the sensor, and it should follow the same resistance as it warms up - cold temp = high resistance; low resistance = hot temp, ensure after installing sensor, resistance between sensor body and engine/intake/ground is less than 1 ohm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts