Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't find exact info using search.
I have a 68 I'm trying to get back on the road and have some fun with.

Got a 327 that had a super victor on it, and I took it off thinking it wouldn't fit my flat hood (probably true, it's HUGE, the engine ran 9000 rpm in my race jeep)

I have a C3BX manifold that I own, and a Performer RPM Air Gap my friend said I could repay him later for.

I'm using a 750 holley HP on it.

Does the RPM Air Gap fit the flat hood with a Holley?
Does the C3BX fit the flat hood with any more clearance than the Air Gap?

Which would give me more drag-strip performance? I know this engine is going to be starving for air either way (11:1 w/.555 lift solid 106º cam) but if the C3BX will fit better and perform good (the runners are bigger cross section) I might be better off running the older one....

Any info would help before I seal it up with an intake that doesn't fit.

·
19,843 Posts
I was running a flat hood with a 406ci small block topped with a Vic Jr,a Holley 750dp,and a drop base air cleaner with about 1/4 of an inch to spare.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I have a friend who runs a vctor jr. with a holley under a stock '68 flat hood. There are a few different versions of the Victor jr, all having different plenum heights, I am not sure his is the shorter one to fit for that purpose.

You say you have a victor jr. and rpm air gap on hand? Measure them and find out, using a ruler, eyeball or set them both on the motor and test fit it.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
Even today, the old C3BX is a good intake, imho. Use it!

It may NOT have the quality of air flow that an RPM will have,, BUT I bet it will have more overall volume of flow!

And this is why the old Weiand 8016 Stealth is still a good intake on the bigger SB's.

pdq67

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even today, the old C3BX is a good intake, imho. Use it!

It may NOT have the quality of air flow that an RPM will have,, BUT I bet it will have more overall volume of flow!

And this is why the old Weiand 8016 Stealth is still a good intake on the bigger SB's.

pdq67
I will agree with that, the C3BX has some big runners, lots of volume! Actually when I took the super victor off, the ports from the C3BX looked like they have a bigger opening than the Victor, so for the street and fitting under the hood, I bet it works fairly well in comparison, for the application. If someone disagrees, I might still go the Air Gap, I have a couple days before I bolt something on. But I'm sure the C3BX would have the best clearance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts