Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have read many prior posts on the kick panel vent but haven't found an answer to the following.

In order to repair or replace the control rod, does the kick panel need to be removed on a 68? I am in the process of installing kick panel speakers and somehow broke or disconnected the vent rod. Does the entire kick panel assembly need to be removed to get at this?

Also, I have seen this called Astro Vent on this forum, but thought that the Astro vent is the eyeball vent up in the dash??

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hi all,

I have read many prior posts on the kick panel vent but haven't found an answer to the following.

In order to repair or replace the control rod, does the kick panel need to be removed on a 68? I am in the process of installing kick panel speakers and somehow broke or disconnected the vent rod. Does the entire kick panel assembly need to be removed to get at this?

Also, I have seen this called Astro Vent on this forum, but thought that the Astro vent is the eyeball vent up in the dash??
Steve, we agree on the astro vent! :D
Other than the knob and control rod the rest of the cable assembly resides behind that kick panel so normally speaking the kick panel would need to be removed unless your speaker install gave you access not normally available.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than the knob and control rod the rest of the cable assembly resides behind that kick panel so normally speaking the kick panel would need to be removed unless your speaker install gave you access not normally available.
Thanks Chick.

I just investigated carefully with a good light (and my glasses :yes:) and discovered that the loop on the end of the cable simply popped off of of the vent rod. I reached in through the plastic grill with a small screwdriver and put it back where it belonged. Viola, all better. :hurray:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Steve,
Some people also use the term Astro Ventilation to describe the Camaro body ventilation system where outside air is drawn in by the plenum air intake & enters the interior through the hi-level vents (or alternately enters through the shroud side vents). Air then flows through the interior, under the rear seats, into the trunk. Air leaves the trunk through exhaust outlets in the body lock pillars (door openings).

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chick.

I just investigated carefully with a good light (and my glasses :yes:) and discovered that the loop on the end of the cable simply popped off of of the vent rod. I reached in through the plastic grill with a small screwdriver and put it back where it belonged. Viola, all better. :hurray:

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Steve,
Some people also use the term Astro Ventilation to describe the Camaro body ventilation system where outside air is drawn in by the plenum air intake & enters the interior through the hi-level vents (or alternately enters through the shroud side vents). Air then flows through the interior, under the rear seats, into the trunk. Air leaves the trunk through exhaust outlets in the body lock pillars (door openings).
Joe,

I don't profess to be any sort of expert on the subject, but I thought that the Astro Ventilation was specific to the 68 model year when the side window vent was eliminated, and more specifically relates to the eyeball vent, not the kick panel vent. Interesting about the air flow that you have referenced.

If anybody has some further facts about this, I would love to hear. :yes:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Astro ventilation refers to the system introduced in 68 for cabin ventilation that replaced the vent window setup. Many people refer to the round dash outlets as astro vents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts