Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find some 68 kick panels that have both the vents and room for 6" speakers? I had some custom kick panels made but I'm not happy with the results. Especially since my emergency brake is very close to the speaker, I think the shop gave it too much depth. Thanks!

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
How do you get a 6" speaker to fit that area,what about clearence on the back side?I measured mine,there is only 1.75" from steel panel to the door hinge area.Is there a good speaker that will have this kind of depth? I wouldn't think it would have much low end,without any real suspension. Dale

------------------
68 z28 ,68 rs 327 ,73 454 vette, 2 goofy kids

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm using the Rainbow's 602 Componets (hand made German speakers). For the depth the I had the kick panels modified by building them up with fiberglass and slightly tilted the speakers towards the center of the car. The only thing is, I can tell it's a mod and I wanted some modled kick panels so no one would notice. They also sprayed them with textured paint and it's hard to tell (I'm to picky). I'm gonna take it back to the shop and complain. They did a 95% job, but I paid for a 200% job

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got them from a local stereo shop, which is one of the only two retailers for them in my area. They are awesome and I would recommend them to anyone!!! I have the 6" components in front (In the kick panels) and the 6" co axial in back (Since I would have of had to cut for the 6x9s and I don't want any un-necessary metal cuts). The guy did an overall great job but I've seen the work the guy does and I know he could have of done better, so I'm a little disappointed. Tomorrow I'm going talk to him and ask him for some touch ups. He does takes pride in his work so I'm sure it won't take much to convince him! Anyhow, they sound so much superior and anything else I've heard (In my price range). I spent hours going back an forth through many speakers and many shops and at first I wasn't really impressed with the high end speakers.... then I heard the Rainbows and it was all over! They are great and you'll find nothing like them in the price range! The guy initially quoted me $269 for the components and $169 for the co axial. I looked around and found them cheaper on-line and at the only other shop that sells them in my area... so I let them know that I could get them cheaper else where and they knocked it down to $180 for the components and $120 for the co axial. They are well worth that and more by far!!! I couldn't tell you enough good things about them. So for the price, I guess it relative... I think they are very cheap for the quality you get. They out do most speakers that cost more than my pay check
. Well... I hope I'll feel better about the kick panels tomorrow. He initially wanted to re-produce the kick panel from scratch but I would have lost the vents and since I have no AC... well there was no way I'm going to lose the vents... not in California.

------------------
Cars:
68 SS Camaro
73 Camaro -Daily Driver

[This message has been edited by ohayden (edited 04-27-2001).]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Those speakers sound great. I wasa going to make some kickpanels for my Acura Integra so they would hold some components, but I decided I wanted a real car and bought my firebird that Im building up. so I thin Ill be making some kick panels for that, but I can see how the parking brake will give me some trouble. Im also thinking about putting in some 4th generation firebird door panels (some how) so I might just use the pods that they use instead. Good luck with your kick panels I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks,Carl C.I almost bought the infinity 4x6 kappa's,but they don't have grills.I didn't realize they reproduced them.What size cap. would you use on that speaker? I bought the kappa series 4",I think I'll return them for the 4x6.

------------------

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Dale,

Of course the amp is mounted on the bottom of the package tray and the label on the caps are facing up! With a mirror and flashlight it looks like they are 175 UF.

It's a tight fit with the plates. It's been several years since I put them in but I believe that one new mounting hole had to be drilled in the speaker frame since one corner has to float due to body contours. The frame still has plenty of support or you could weld in a brace. I think I also had to replace one door hinge bolt for a shorter one for magnet clearance. Both were minor issues.

The repro grills look pretty good. The hardest part is cutting the kick panels correctly. To get the largest hole possible I cut the hole just smaller than the grill perimeter but left four tabs for screw and cage nut atachement.

If you would like I can borrow my neighbors digital camera and send a photo.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Thanks! Ihavn't installed the kick panel speakers,because of the looks.Ifigured I would have to shorten up the door hinge bolt.I'm sure the 4x6's will be better than the 4" Thanks,again.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.