Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All opinions will be welcome on this one. I bought this 68 from a fellow team member a few days ago. The car was exactly as he described and could not have been easier to deal with. Been snooping around in it,and found some interesting clues as to what it might have been born as.
Bought it as a parts car ,but thinking maybe this one is worth saving. VIN #124378n41xxxx
Now, for an overview ,rockers are solid ,shock towers, roof, and firewall good----will need qtrs,trunk center pan,frt & rear floors,upper dash panel ,and upper cowl repair . Oh, and most of a new frt clip. Already have interior ,doors ,glass and dash instruments from another car.And how could I forget it will need a new drive train. Also, I would be doing 98 percent of the work myself. Here's the link ,thanks in advance to all :cool:

http://community.webshots.com/album/558224078QYSAOr

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
RS/SS gets my vote. I'd save em all if I could.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure about the upper control arms but the sub frame appears to have been in place a very long time . But in 39 years alot can happen and most times did. Are there any other things I can check for to see if its a nova frame ?

·
Registered
350 Posts
What about the mono leafs? That doesn't scream BB to me. The heater box could have been changed. I do believe it to be an RS though.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
+1 vote for a BB/RS/SS/4Spd car....

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fugetaboti , I agree about the single leaf springs ,so I checked the rear end--
and #s did'nt line up ...not original to the car . Think 12 bolt and multis were robbed back when these cars were not worth fixing. Why would some one go to the trouble to add multi leaf shock plates ? 10 bolt could have been just to make it a roller ( I have several around to do the same). :D

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...well, it appears it at least was a dual exhaust V8 car, front disc brakes, RS... The mono leafs don't add up, ...but the shock plates look like they are for multileaf springs?
...Removing the heater box may tell if it has ever been replaced. What about the PN on the engine frame mount? ...wouldn't that tell you/us something? (aren't the #'s different BB vs. SB?)
As for the Nova subframe, ...I believe on the driver's side rail (inboard near rear bolt), ...there is a hole for auto shifter bracket...??

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kevin, I'll be removing the heater box soon,it looks right now as though it hasn't been out ,but that is looking through that ugly red paint. Luckily I have another 68 327 car w/original sub frame and no frt clip sitting right in front of this one.
I compared all the holes and the upper control arms and they are the same.
Hope someone knows if the engine mount part #s would be correct.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
The upper control arms in the picture are attached differently than mine. My 68's have a bolt and washer that hold the bushing in place, the one pictured has a stud going through the bushing with a washer and nut. This is like I have seen on later Nova frames, but maybe just the part going through the bushing was changed? What is your other frame like?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Those are mono springs but the shock mounting plates are multilieaf. Just something I noticed. They could have come from the original set up.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
James, you are right the stud is totally different between the two. I was looking at the upper comtrol arm itself and could see no defferance in them.
Someone has tried to clean ,paint and generally spiff up the sub frame while still on the car. ( Sharp eyes -better than mine and I'm here looking at it):thumbsup: Took one more look at those studs ---- they are off-set from center to allow more adjustment outward on front alignment. Have you seen this before ?

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
"they are off-set from center to allow more adjustment outward on front alignment. Have you seen this before ?"

...In the past, I had actually done that to a car ('67 Camaro) when rebuilding it, ...I opted for "offset shafts", ...that are exactly what those look like. I wouldn't 'read' into that too much, ...other than someone swapped them.

·
Premium Member
2,876 Posts
JOE58, I just went out and checked . They are exactly like the ones on my
original 69Z. Are 68's supposed to be different ?
I have a bunch of spring plates and some are 1967 some are 1968 and they look different then those.
It May be all the ones I have are for mono leaf. I know the 67 68 have different shock mount on driver side so I know some of mine are 67 and some 68.
So those in the picture may be for multi leaf only?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Frame stand part number is good for BB. 3912598 is RH, LH should be 3912597.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts