Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building up my 327 in a 68RS camaro. My goal is to get 375-400 HP out of the engine. A local shop said to start with a purchase of aluminum heads at a cost of 1800.00. Before I invest in that, what are my options here?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know if you need aluminum heads for the street. They ron hotter and they warp really easily. Unless you are running really high compression I would go with a nice set of steel head... s/r torker II's or vortecs or something like that. Don't think aluminum is necessary though. Good luck
Tim

·
Registered
51 Posts
is the shop that recomended the heads going to sell them to you also ?? I agree with blazin68 you dont need alluminum for the street , a good set of iron heads with some good size stainless steel valves with be the ticket ,

·
Registered
744 Posts
You need to find a different shop. Edelbrock Perf RPM Alum. heads: $930 Trickflow 23 degree Alum. heads: $850 Trickflow Twisted wedge Alum. heads: $950 Air Flow Reasearch 190 or 195 Alum. heads $1250. AFR race ready 210 or 220 Alum. heads $1450. Brodix Track 1 $1250 etc. etc... obviously they are trying to rip you off. I do think aftermarket heads are the way to go. Iron or Aluminum. Although I am not impressed with stock SR torkers.

------------------
67 Camaro 410sb 11.63 @117.6
67 Camaro 388 ET-???
website

·
Registered
260 Posts
Depends if your after torgue or horsepower, big runners will get higher rpm horsepower. While smaller will give you more torque but less flow at high rpm's. I had Darts 200 cc intakes on my 327 and man would that think wind up (how do you spell that). But low rpm torque wasnt there, until I got lower gears.

·
Registered
260 Posts
But they are right, dont get the alum. and find a machine shop. The casts are a lot more forgiving, and when you need work done to them. You wont have to find a specialty shop to do aluminum heads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like cast heads may be the best plan for my application. If I install forged pistons that come up within .010 of the deck, any suggestions on the chamber size of head I should use? Again, my goal is 375-400HP.

Thanks

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts