Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I am a new guy in Ms. I am going to help my friend sell his '68 Camaro RS convertible. His father bought this car new in Yazoo City in 1968. The car is a RS with P/S, P/B and factory a/c. It is a TH350 car and has the original engine, trans, rear end, etc. The car has been kept inside all these years and is a nice driver. No rust in the floors, trunk or any where else. The interior is mostly the original and is a bit tired. The engine is a 327 with 2bbl. The engine runs well but has some blow by and could use a rebuild. But it cranks and runs well. The mileage I cannot remember but I will have the car this next week and I'll post some photos. This owner was a bank Pres as was his father so the car has had good care. It is white now but started out another color (I cannot remember that now but will find out this next week.) We do some classic car restoration work and we worked on this car this last summer and did a good bit of work to get it to be a dependable driver. We replaced the a/c compressor for one thing and that works satisfactory. For whatever reason I cannot get my photos (from this past summer) to post on this site (it says they are too big.) I've got a computer guy and maybe he can post them for me this coming Monday.
Any thoughts on a value on this car? Thanks for any advice. Mike Martin; Madison, Ms

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
You will need a paid membership to post photos. Either that or a third party hosting site.

Don

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am not an expert, and the prices can be all over the place. I am a rag top person so, no rust, deluxe interior RS, no bondo, driver chrome, original hub caps, etc. There is no way you will find one for less than $20K and I would guess it would bring at least $25K to $30K or more on eBay.

My 68 RS is not numbers matching drive train, has standard interior and needs some work here and there. I was offered $28K but my wife turned it down. If I were younger and didn't already have 3, I would be very interested.

Now the guys that want metal overhead are going to say I am too high, but go to Hagerty's web site and see what the insured value is.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
32,894 Posts
Nice looking girl - has Montgomery Wards side molding for preventing door dings, A/C must not work as relay and resistor block are not connected, and has the window sill molding - a one year option for '68.
She is a looker !!! Good luck with sale $27K since original drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice looking girl - has Montgomery Wards side molding for preventing door dings, A/C must not work as relay and resistor block are not connected, and has the window sill molding - a one year option for '68.
She is a looker !!! Good luck with sale $27K since original drivetrain.
These photos were from last summer. We had the a/c working when the car left us. I am ging to influence the owner to update the car with some rally wheels and new tires; new seat covers and carpet and to let us detail the engine compartment. I think the cost/benefit ratio in doing that would be worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
These photos were from last summer. We had the a/c working when the car left us. I am ging to influence the owner to update the car with some rally wheels and new tires; new seat covers and carpet and to let us detail the engine compartment. I think the cost/benefit ratio in doing that would be worthwhile.
Some buyers prefer originality rather than spiffed up. I recommend you do your research before embarking on a spiff up beautification.

Don

Reactions: 1968RallySport

·
Premium Member
6,626 Posts
Im thinking its a high teens to low 20's car really depending on condition.\ and if its got some paperwork like the original POP etc.
327/210hp convert.

·
14,704 Posts
#1 Clean everything meticulously

Get any documentation you have in order.

Be 100% honest advertising the car.

I would not paint or spiff up a thing if your intent is to sale.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,678 Posts
Vert, RS, AC, Deluxe interior...some nice options. I presume (from the master cyl) it's 4whl drum brake ?

I'd say mid-upper 20's as well, assuming it's rust free as described. I'm sure you'd get your money back and then some by freshening the interior....

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I guess at age 70 I had a Senior Moment. The transmission in the Camaro is a Powerglide. I'll get the car Friday and will post some more photos.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,678 Posts
TH350 didn't go into production until 69, although at the end of the 68 model year a few were installed as a test fleet.

·
Registered
814 Posts
That is a really nice looking/well optioned car! If it were me I would ask for $30K and take no less than $27K. In Colorado, you can add $5-10K to that price!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agree with the above, maybe $2000-3000 more if the car had some original documentation, a power top and/or a very attractive born-with color.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Nice car. I would detail the dog out of it including the engine compartment. Create some eyeballs will add a few $$$ with little investment. White is the most popular color these days. . . . .just look around. Not so back in the 60's. Too bad. Detailed out I would ask low $30k with summer coming adround.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am guessing the car has black interior which is not as hard to match as red or blue, etc. but I would not change the interior if there are no rips nor other major damage to it. I put PUI interior in a couple of cars, and although it is nice, the color match to the existing is not good due to sun fading the original interior. Also, the vinyl grain is not a perfect match.
If you do decide to do it, I would recommend you do it all, not just the seats.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The owner says no spiffing up. We will clean it up real good and market it like it sits (which is real nice.) I'm not sure just what paperwork he has. As stated his father bought it new in Yazoo City Ms and it has been in that family since it was new. We will ask $29500 and see what happens. There will be no rush as this guy, like his father, is a retired Bank Pres himself.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts