Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have disconnected horns and run power direct to horns, dont work,have put a test light to wire that goes to horns and there is continual power,when I push horn button the power turns off,does that mean the regulator is buggered?

·
Super Moderator
33,591 Posts
It could mean the relay connector plug is wired/indexed incorrectly.
Steering wheel button provides the ground for energizing the horn relay to close and energize the horns.
Welcome to the club
I forewarn you, as you will be asked for pictures of the correct year of Camaro.
Schematic here:
(2) Voltage readings on horn relay | Team Camaro Tech (camaros.net)

·
16,508 Posts
1st test the horns. jumper from battery + to connector on horn. Ground the horn and will honk if good. Often the ground between the horn and the core support is bad. Remove horn and clean surfaces to bare metal.

·
Registered
8,492 Posts
Have disconnected horns and run power direct to horns, dont work,have put a test light to wire that goes to horns and there is continual power,when I push horn button the power turns off,does that mean the regulator is buggered?
Have they ever worked?
So you did wire them direct and they don't work. Get a screw driver and rap the horn with the plastic end of screw driver. Try again. If still non-op take them off and fill them up with PB blaster and let them soak. Try again. If no luck, then send them to Gary at the horn works!

·
Premium Member
68 SS/RS, 468 BB 4 speed, 3.73 Posi, new paint, motor mods , trans and diff assembly. 2" Drop
711 Posts
Wow great thread here that Im going to follow. I have a 68 RS rewired by PO with American Autowire. It had no horns on car when I bought it, but bought an aftermarket set of high/low horns that someone on this site recommended as an alternative. Currently working on replacing/tuning dizzy and carb, but will venture out in my spare time to look into horns again.
Quick question if I may ask, my horn relay is up in the dash behind the speedo (AAW), I tested the circuit by putting a test light in the plugs on the radiator support and they lit up when I pressed the horn button on steering wheel. Would this indicate my button/relay circuit is working correctly? I tried hooking up the horns and they still didnt work. I understand it may a ground circuit issue that maybe something to check out.
Following for helpful info.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quick question if I may ask, my horn relay is up in the dash behind the speedo (AAW), I tested the circuit by putting a test light in the plugs on the radiator support and they lit up when I pressed the horn button on steering wheel. Would this indicate my button/relay circuit is working correctly? I tried hooking up the horns and they still didnt work. I understand it may a ground circuit issue that maybe something to check out.
Following for helpful info.
The link that was provided to you is not going to be much help if a previous owner rewired the horn circuit, as the 1st gen Camaro's have the horn relay at the front of the car; drivers side below where the external voltage regulator is. I'll assume the external voltage regulator may no longer be there or used on your Camaro, as a popular mod was to switch over to an internal regulator/alternator.

Here's an image:

Attachments

·
16,508 Posts
StevieBB54

AAW wiring has the horn relay under the dash and eliminates the OEM relay. If the green wires at the radiator support light when horn button is pushed the issue is the horns are not grounded to the support, remove paint from horn bracket and contact point on the core support. Youu can also add a star washed between the bracket and the support.

If that doesn't work test the horns with 12v to the connection tab and a good ground to the bracket. No beep no good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts