Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting on a new journey. New experience. More than likely a few new scars with hopefully minimal blood loss. :)

I'm redoing a 68 RS (327/3spd). The motor/trans are long gone. The owner of this car started restoration 25 years ago. He put new GM quarters/tail pain/outer wheel houses. He redid the floor. He bought new GM fenders. He then primered it and promptly let it sit in his garage for the next 25 years. I found it on Racing Junk and drove the 6 hours to take it off his hands. He had a nice butternut yellow 67 and a 67 Chevelle (project) tucked back in the corner of his garage. He gave me tons of stuff, most of which I will never use lol (such as 4 NOS wheel well mouldings still in the wrapper) and some other various NOS items.

I have never worked on a car except for oil and brake changes, but I decided I would go buy a welder and give it the old college try.

First I had to fix some tiny holes in the toe boards (done except for some weld grinding...I won't put a before grinding pic as my welds may scare some younger members).

Next I'm getting ready to drop the subframe and rear, put it on my neighbor's dolly and install a DSE minitub kit. The idea is to stuff 335/30r18's under the rear. After that I need to wire wheel off some surface rust on the interior sail panels and prime them. It should then be ready for paint.

After paint jail, the project will hit a hiatus, as I'm trying not to spend too much at once. I'm torn on powertrain. A 406 with a Holley Sniper EFT and a TKO 500 vs an LS motor with T56. Trying to keep costs down, so while I'd rather have the LS, I may just do a 406. It will be 4 wheel power disc (don't know which brand...whichever is the best value).

I plan on fabbing up my own console (ballsy for a newb, right?) Other than paint, and welding on the brackets for my Ridetech 4 Link, I want to do this car myself.

Anyway, there may be huge gaps in this build thread. My apologies. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did I mention the doors on this thing are PRISTINE. Almost hate to weld up the trim holes in the bottom...That is the other thing I will not attempt to weld up myself. Those doors are too nice for an amateur to bugger up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts