Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I'd finally start a build thread for my car since I'm finally getting started on it and I'd like to document the process.

It's a 68 327/210hp Rallye Green RS with a white vinyl top and standard black interior. I don't do body work or paint so I was happy to find this one because those items are good enough for my standards. The weakest point from the appearance standpoint is the engine bay. Some work has been done but it really needs to be cleaned up and things repaired to meet my goals.

As far as my goals, I want the car to be as close to an original 68 as I can get. It didn't come with the options I would have liked (gauges, power disc brakes, etc.) so for my purposes I want to add 68 options as accurately as I can to end up with the 68 I want. Since "numbers matching" matter to me I don't want to stray from the cowl tag. I really want a black vinyl top and deluxe houndstooth interior but I'd rather have the car match the cowl tag so that will have to wait for another project car.

As far as the engine is concerned, I'm not interested in power or handling so the original 327/210hp PG drivetrain is fine with me since the car will mostly be a garage queen. I'll get a stock rebuild done on the engine and focus on refurbishing the engine bay, brakes, suspension, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,158 Posts
Jim, car still looks good and presentable. From the photos , you have front disc, don't loose them.
Long ago, We had aftermarket people present to us a vinyl top color paint process. Just thinking if the process was still around and reliable that you could change the white top to black as you are thinking , garage queen?

As for wheels, I think it needs rally wheels and you probably already have a set of , would't worry about date coding them.

Adding some hockey stripes should be no problem also, if that's part of the long term plan.

Changing the seats can't be a hard job, you can do it in your garage with a set of hog ring pliers and new seat buns.

Engine compartment is no biggie, as you are not asking for gleaming bling. I always like stock the best.

But if locating another project is your goal, go for it. Life is sometimes too short to be picky.

Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But if locating another project is your goal, go for it. Life is sometimes too short to be picky.

Enjoy.
Hi Don: The problem is that while another car is goal, finding it has not turned out to be easy. I've been looking for a very particular 68 RS and have never come across it. It was probably out there somewhere but I didn't see it for sale. Making a clone of what I want was my goal for the previous project car I sold last year but after getting this one I've realized that I want one with a matching cowl tag. I still hope I'll find it but in the mean time I've got this one to play with :)

·
13,851 Posts
Jim,

I don't think the deluxe interior and maybe adding a set of gauges would be sacrilegious to the TT. Even doing the black top would be OK. Know that the car would look so much better and if it ever came to it could easily be changed back to match the TT.

Reactions: VitaminC

·
Premium Member
11,158 Posts
I understand . I was trying to put your interior together with the houndstooth cloth seats, which I think is part of a deluxe package and your present door panels, telling me standard or deluxe?. The pleated seats look like my woven deluxe and my door panels are not but the lines match up so its done.

But never less, the search goes on. Your search for a bright green car may be like searching for my frost green. Just not everyone's cup of tea , so to say, and a Z car at that. But I do see more of your color than mine.

Main point is, make your car the way you want it and I think wife will agree. Part hers anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
If you are interested, I have a set of original factory console gauges and speedo with MPH limiter and a tictock tach 5k redline. Was gonna put it up for sale, just haven't gotten around to it just yet.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are interested, I have a set of original factory console gauges and speedo with MPH limiter and a tictock tach 5k redline. Was gonna put it up for sale, just haven't gotten around to it just yet.
Wow, I would have but I bought everything from Classic about 2 months ago :(

·
Premium Member
11,158 Posts
Jim,

I don't think the deluxe interior and maybe adding a set of gauges would be sacrilegious to the TT. Even doing the black top would be OK. Know that the car would look so much better and if it ever came to it could easily be changed back to match the TT.
Jim, Remember these S&W gauges? A simple two or three panel set might look good on bottom of dash , if you are still considering.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/stewart-warner-performance-custom-deluxe-green-line-analog-gauges?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=green line &sw=Stewart Warner Performance Custom Deluxe Green Line Analog Gauges

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had gauges like that on my 1st Camaro but I'm going for the stock look this time. Even though I'm not sure I'm going to be able to see them with my old eyes!

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Wow, I would have but I bought everything from Classic about 2 months ago :(
No worries - just tryin' to help a fellow member out :beers:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm still in the middle of the interior refurbishment. I wasn't expected as much work as I've run into to add the oil gauge line for console gauges. After drilling the hole through the dimple in the engine bay, I couldn't find it in the interior. At least I only had to remove the ignition coil to be able to drill the hole. After much research, hunting, and having my wife push a coat hanger through the engine bay, I find that the hole comes out BEHING the defroster ducting. My first mistake was expecting it to be easier than it turned out. Just to be able to get to the things I need I've removed all most everything in the dash. After removing the 2 bolts holding the ducting in place I still couldn't move it from the outlet of the heater box. As careful as I was, I still cracked the ducting :( I guess the good news is that I will have to remove the ducting anyway when I add vintage A/C. And while I was removing things I found that one of the control rods on the heater controls is broken. I will have to hunt for a new mechanism now. Needs new chrome piece anyway :) I had already discovered that the glove box had been cut out to hold an 8 track player. Too bad it wasn't still with the car; that would have been really retro. The radio opening in the dash had totally been hacked to put in a radio so I have to see what I'm going to have to repair to be able to install the Retro Sound Model II I bought.

While I've got it all apart, if anybody needs any pictures from behind the dash, let me know.

·
11,280 Posts
Jim, very nice 68 you got there. I agree, just some fixing and detail work will make it much better!

If you want to talk 8-tracks, just let me know :) put a post up, no PMs, its full :( I have an NOS one in my car as well as restoring the tapes themselves so they can be played. I have a post up about my stereo install if you are interested. I think I still have more day 2 players and many boxes of 8-tracks :D

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Hi Jim,
Nice looking RS. Good luck with it.
The same lever is busted on my car, so I put the Heartbeat City page into my favorites! (thx bsharp2)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hi Jim,

Nice looking RS. Good luck with it.

The same lever is busted on my car, so I put the Heartbeat City page into my favorites! (thx bsharp2)

Those guys at Heartbeat City have been great almost everything is in stock and they ship same day very helpful with questions too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts