Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a 68 camaro that is miising the front sheet metal and interior. We were told it is an rs/ss. It is an rs for sure, however, I'm not sure on the ss part. The interior is missing and the only #'s I can find are the vin and the cowl tag. Is there any other way to tell?

·
Registered
988 Posts
You might want to search on this topic in the Tag Team section.

------------------
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 2004R (owned since 81)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
My Camaro

·
Registered
292 Posts
some clues to look for is a hole about 3/4 of an inch by the brake booster. it'll be on the driver side. this hole is used by the vacum hoses that actuate the headlights. that a good telltale sign for the rs equipment. as far as the ss equipment 12 bolt rear end, multi leaf springs (5), front disc brakes with 4 piston calipers and i'm sure there may be other signs that someone else on this board knows of.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Just mentioned some clues. Obviosly disc brakes were'nt options on base cars, so if it did have the big boy calipers and two piece rotors it could be a SS or maybe even better a Z/28/RS! Just trying to help.

[This message has been edited by CJ (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
79 Posts
If it is a RS/SS, I believe a really good way to tell is that the sort of clear back up lights are found a foot or so below the (solid red) rear tail lights.

------------------
1968 RS/SS 454 TH400 Black Deluxe Interior
"Another Day.... Another $100.00 worth of parts..."

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If there are small clips(3) going down the inside of the trans tunnel, then it would have had a Muncie 4-speed which means it was an SS 4-speed..but if it were an automatic SS 350 the body would be the same as a non-SS..Another small possicle SS identification would be if it has those compression nuts used to hold the exh hanger on the left rear frame rail..not a for-sure thing, but a good indication.

------------------
My Mountian Green 67 RS 250 6 cyl. 3-speed. Deluxe black interior,AM/FM multiplex and speed-warning. Parts car, turned resto..
http://www.members.aol.com/panther1967/camaro1a.jpg
http://members.aol.com/panther1967/camaro2a.jpg
http://members.aol.com/panther1967/camaro3a.jpg

·
Registered
130 Posts
CJ, I hope I did not offend you, I was just wanted to point out that the lack off disc brakes on a 68 does not rule out a SS. I also was just trying to help. Erik

·
Registered
292 Posts
None taken. It's all for fun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We appreciate all the info that everyone has given us. I will check the trans tunnel and let you know. I also posted the same topic in tag-team along with the vin and the cowl tag #s. If turns out not to be an ss, we'll live, because we know for fact it is an rs v-8 car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts