Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Camaro, but my friend has a 68, and he needs some help. Here's his situation:

He has a 68 RS, and it has the 68 electrical wiring harness... But his headlight door mechanism was changed over to a 67 before he got it... so instead of having the vaccum actuators, he has the electrical motors to open and close the doors. The only way he can open the headlight doors is if he disconnects the linkage and opens them manually. He can't figure out how to wire it to where it will open automatically. Any input would be appreciated. He's a mechanic, but not too familiar with first gen Camaros yet. If I don't respond back to replies right away it's because I will have to be the "conduit" (no pun intended) for the information --- he knows cars, and I know how to access information on this site and the internet --- Laurel and Hardy

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
Steve, he can install the relay control system that will energize the doors system when the lights are switched on if it isn't already there.
If you study the '67 wiring diagram you will see how it was connected to the stock system.
I believe the wiring loom that will plug into the standard wiring is available from one of the repopper's, but I haven't checked into it in a while.

... Any input would be appreciated.
... He's a mechanic, but not too familiar with first gen Camaros yet ...
Laurel and Hardy
This must be your new "guest house guest" :D
I take the "monkey" is off your back then ...

John

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, "live-in "mechanic" is still lurking about, but just about time to drop the hammer. This other guy is a real friend, and he knows his stuff (except for specifics like this). He actually drove down here friday night from Reno, through a snow storm, just to help me do the engine swap (which dodn't "fully" happen, but that's another story).

On the wiring diagram, can I find it on this (or another) site, or will he need to purchase it somewhere? He's about as computer savvy as I am with cars, so I guess we compliment each other :) Thanks John.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I’m a little surprised that electric motors were installed but the rest of the RS system was not attempted. Have you checked that none of the other 67 RS stuff is there (limit switches, relays, wire harness, under dash diode)? One stumbling block is the different bulkhead connectors on the 68 firewall which does not work with the 67 RS harness. Fortunately Rick’s First Generation now offers a special 67 RS front wire harness which plugs directly into the 68 bulkhead. If all you have is the motors you may want to convert back to vacuum or use an electronic conversion kit. Both Retro-Electro and DSE offer different electronic systems. I make the Retro-Electro version. The electronic conversions save time and are far less problematic. For more help on the original 67 RS system kit, including the wiring diagram see my 67 RS help page here: http://www.retro-electro.net/FAQ.html
Regardless of which route you choose feel free to call me with any questions @ 973 728 7232.
Mark

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
One stumbling block is the different bulkhead connectors on the 68 firewall which does not work with the 67 RS harness. Fortunately Rick’s First Generation now offers a special 67 RS front wire harness which plugs directly into the 68 bulkhead.
Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you know what the part number or name is for this item? I have an entire 67 front end, wiring and all that I'm trying to mate with my 68. I assumed it was a plug and play opperation, and have never heard they were different before, so I'm guessing I need this piece.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You might want to check into the aftermarket headlight motors (I think it's retro -electric), I got a set off ebay for a 67 car that was cloned in appearance but not function. They bolted right in place of the original motors and work great. No additional switches or relays needed, they work right off the light circuit when you turn the lights on and off.
However, if you go through the trouble to hook up the original 67 motors correctly with all the switches, relays, and don't forget to add in the diode, just to find out the motors you have don't work you would likely be money ahead to just do the conversion.

Just a thought! If you have as little as I do now, TIME is MONEY !

I just checked the 67 replacement motors are $225 for the pair, the 68 & 69 conversion kits are $525 and $550.
His EBAY seller ID is sparkys67.

I don't know how I missed Marks post (above) but that's who I was referencing, he is very helpfull over the phone. I did call him before I bought mine and was going to put his # here but didn't see it in his current Auction.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Thanks Myyenko, much appreciated.

The 68 to 67 RS harness is part 50743. Here is Ricks First Gen's decription:

68 TO 67 RS FRONT LIGHT
CONVERSION HARNESS
Allows use of 67 electric
doors on a 68. Solves
the mating problem with
67 pin style connectors
to the later 68 blade
type firewall fuse box.
(RS diode harness 71830 required)
50743 68 to 67 RS Conversion harness ............ 225.00

·
Premium Member
9,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks so much for all the help - I know he will appreciate it. I know I do... I'm doing this as his proxy because he's not really internet savvy. I have been relaying the information to him as best as I can... he hasn't figured out how to download attachments using Yahoo mail and, since it takes him a long time to figure out how links work, I'm copying and pasting the info to him as it comes in. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Thanks Myyenko, much appreciated.

The 68 to 67 RS harness is part 50743. Here is Ricks First Gen's decription:

68 TO 67 RS FRONT LIGHT
CONVERSION HARNESS
Allows use of 67 electric
doors on a 68. Solves
the mating problem with
67 pin style connectors
to the later 68 blade
type firewall fuse box.
(RS diode harness 71830 required)
50743 68 to 67 RS Conversion harness ............ 225.00
Thanks a lot! I actually just found it in their print catalog, its just not listed yet on the electronic one.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I didn't want to find out what was good and bad in the headlight system when I was going back together with my hardtop.I ordered a set of retro motors from Mark's company and used a standard headlight harness. Worked great without any headaches!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts