Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys ---- I've got a '68 RS with a Saginaw 3-speed gearbox in it. The backup light switch which is supposed to mount on the side of the transmission is not there. Neither is the bracket and, of course, neither is the little link arm that would run between the switch and the reverse arm on the trans.

Finding the actual bracket for a Saginaw seems impossible. I can buy Muncie 4-speed brackets (and entire backup light switch kits, for that matter) all day long but nothing for the Saginaw.

I've already previously rigged a solution using a Hurst universal backup light switch but I'm not completely happy with what I did because while the lights do operate, the way I rigged is is that the switch is actually activated by the shifter handle (below the shift boot, of course) and unless I keep forward pressure on the shifter handle, the lights will not stay on. I really need to mount the reverse backup switch down on the tranny, where the shift arm that represents reverse will make good, solid contact with it any time it's in reverse, regardless of if I'm still pushing forward on the shifter handle or not.

Anyone ever retro-fitted a universal Hurst backup light switch onto a Saginaw 3-speed that would care to share photos or knowledge/experience/ideas? Thanks in advance!

~ Steve

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think the shifter mounted switches are adjustable to solve your problem. My saginaw was a newer model and had the switch built into the tranny so I cant help you there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Attachments

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Are you using a Muncie shifter with the Saginaw trans? I just recently installed that same switch on my Hurst shifter and Muncie trans. It says it's a universal switch but I think it was designed for a Hurst shifter, because it fits and works perfect with one. Here's a pic of mine:

Are you looking for the original reverse light switch/bracket/harness combo like this?

If so, I might have some spare parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not a question of being able to adjust the mounting bracket. It's a question of "distance of throw". There's just no adjusting I can do with my switch fitted where it currently is. If I move it closer to the actual shift knob shaft, I'll restrict the movement of the shift knob shaft.

Bottom line is that I'm going to have to move it down to the transmission gearbox itself where the arm of the shift linkage on the side of the tranny can turn it on/off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kevin --- If you truly have the old bracket (which you appear to have, if that picture is a current picture of something in your "old inventory"), then, yes, that is ideally what I'm after. As I mentioned in my original post, I can buy replacement stuff for the Muncie 4-speed transmissions all day long but I can't find anything for the old Saginaw 3-speeds. :)

I'm thinking that the bracket that mounts to the side of the transmission and the little link arm (that goes from the transmission linkage to the actual reverse light switch) are the parts that I'd really need although I could probably fashion a link arm on my own, if need be. Maybe the screws that hold the switch to the bracket would be handy, too, although they are available as replacements, too.

I think the backup switch itself --- like the one shown in your picture --- is universal in that it will fit either the 3-speed bracket (that you have) or the 4-speed bracket (which I can buy but won't fit my transmission). At least the shop manual only lists one switch part number, regardless of 3-speed Saginaw or 4-speed Muncie.

**Please** PM me or reply again to this thread, Kevin, to let me know what you've got.

Thanks for your reply (and for the other replies to this thread so far)!!

Steve

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Now I'm confused. Is the reverse light setup in the picture for a 3-speed and not a 4-speed? I bought a couple of old Muncie shifters and parts to put together one good shifter in case I ever wanted to go back to original. The reverse light stuff came with a couple of them. I want to keep one complete setup but will part with any extra pieces I don't need. I just assumed these were for a 4-speed. I think I have an extra bracket though, let me see if I can find it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kevin --- The stock Chevy reverse light bracket and switch that you posted appears to be from a 3-speed Saginaw gearbox. I say that because my '68 shop manual shows that the bracket that mounts onto the side of the Saginaw 3-speed gearbox has 2 mounting holes in the front ear of the bracket and a single mounting hole in the rear ear of the bracket. That matches what's in your photograph. (The bracket for a 4-speed Muncie gearbox only has a single mounting hole in each of the ears. It is shown in my '68 shop manual, too.)

I know that regardless of the transmission, the bracket is only held in place with 2 mounting bolts (two of the multiple bolts that hold the side of the gearbox case in place). Makes you wonder why Chevy made the Saginaw switch bracket with 2 holes in the front ear. Oh well, I'm sure they had a good reason. :confused:

If you've got a spare bracket like I've described above, I'd be interested in hearing more.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Steve- if that fails, let me know. I have a bracket and a switch from a '67 Saginaw 3sp left over from when I converted to a Muncie. Just moved so I'd have to dig through some boxes of parts but if you don't easily find one elsewhere I'm happy to go looking. Just drop me a pm if you need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts