Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on the topic, but of the few posts I saw that included my question, the poster did not respond with results...

I have a 68 convertible with standard interior (black buckets). I want to add headrests (head restraints, actually) for safety reasons. Some of the posters believed that the brackets are already installed because it was an option. Some said you cant add headrests in a non-headrest car.

Anyone know the real answer? Will I be able to do this without changing the entire seats? I have nice seats as it is...I just want the headrests.

·
15,375 Posts
I guess a quick way to find out would be to remove the back panel from the seat and take a look at the seat frame near the top. On headrest seats, there's a plastic sheath or shoot that the headrest bar slides in and out of. I'm not sure what else is up there on the inside of the frame on a headrest seat, but I have one of mine apart and can look for you.... and anyone else that's interested.
Pics too.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Steve
I had the same notion awhile back and put it to rest after reading somewhere that the seats had to have the internal mechansims from the factory to install the head rests.

As you probably know, head rests (actually called Strato Ease Head Restraints in '68 - RPO AS2) were a fairly rare option on '68's. Only 2,234 cars had them. They became mandatory for safety reasons in Jan of '69.

·
Retired
26,976 Posts
Steve check the '68 AIM it should have the info you need. You can call Steve at Steve's Camaros (Tell him Dennis Dunio gave you his number) 650-873-1890 he should be able to tell you what is needed and can get you the parts. His brother Scott knows his stuff too, so if Steve is busy he'll be able to help.

·
Registered
405 Posts
How about just finding a set of 69 seats?

I know your seats are nice, but the 69 seats are killer.

WOW!!! Something I have that you don't! Hmmmm... maybe we could work out a trade... FB385 for my front seats? :eek:

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I'll be putting this WAAAAAAY on the back burner for now. I dont have the mounts inside and from what I'm told they were welded-in in the factory seats. It would be a pretty tough project, unless I can find complete headrest seats and re-do them, and that option was so rare in 68, I'm guessing if they do pop-up they'll be going for a small fortune!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Steve W (or anyone else),

I have the same issue. It's an uncomfortable feeling knowing that if you're rear-ended, your spine will most likely be snapped! I'd take apart my seats to find if I can install headrests, but my car is in storage in another state for at least a couple weeks.

I was wondering if anyone knew if the internal mechanisms are there or if they can be added to install a headrest. Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you have chosen saftey over originalality. I think the four bolts in the tracks would be way easier to remove than to change a set of 68 seats. Buy a set of 69 seats and recover them in your color. Besides if your looking for originality then the 68 seats can be put back into the car. Why ruin a good set when you can just find a set of 69 seats and install them. Hold on to the 68 seats and wah ha your in buisness. Just my thoughts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
I had the same “Safety” issue with my 68 seats. I took the seat frames apart and re-welded the seams, adding some braces to add structure. I then used two pieces of shallow channel (I think it may have been 2 inch by ¼ inch), and welded them together to form a sleeve for the headrest to slide in and welded it into the 68 seat backs. The top pieces that mount to the seat are available at the re-pop places. I then purchased a set of straight bar headrests, had them recovered to match the pearl houndstooth and slipped them in. It looks quite stock and I feel it is much safer. One thing I would possibly change is to use 69 headrests with the curved bar to place them closer to the back of my head, but the 68’s had straight headrests I believe.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Late to this party but did this conversion a year or so ago. It was fairly simple. Buy the 69 parts, plastic sheath, locking mechanism. Pull ur seat apart, look for frame photos of a 69 or 68 with headrests...copy the bracket design, weld in place and then reassemble. Ok it's a bit of work but worth it...and they look great. :yes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.