Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1968 ss camaro with a 396 and turbo 400 transmission. the console needs to be installed. can the foward botls be secured without removing the transmission? and if so how do i do this

------------------

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not sure what "bolts" you're talking about on the trans.
I assume you mean the console brace that fits under the lower half of the console. This brace aligns with the lower half of the console and is bolted to the front of the console on the "hump"
If you never had a console there it can be trickey getting the nuts on the brace from under the car.
Do you have an assembly manuel? If not, get one. Best thing you will buy for your car & you.
Dan

------------------
'68 396 +.60 TH400 12 Bolt 4:10 Deluxe Interior

·
11,298 Posts
sofaking, If it was a manual, you could reach your hand in the shifter hole to get the nuts. But since you have a th400, the next best thing is to take the motor mount bolts out and drop the crossmember with the trans on a jack. Then lower the jack until you have some clearance. Just watch out for the distributor hitting the firewall.

You may need to loosen the exhaust and other binding things to gain enough room.

Luck, Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
You could also use "Riv-Nuts" - they set from the top; most industrial supply houses carry them. Also called "NutSerts".

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

·
11,298 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Yup - easier than fighting engine mounts and everything else underneath the car. Drill the holes at the dimples, knock the studs out of the bracket, install the Riv-Nuts in the floor, and bolt the bracket down.

------------------
JohnZ
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

1 - 6 of 6 Posts