Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to look at a possible 68 SS this weekend It is sopposed to be a 396 four gear. The original moter is not in th ecar but the owner thinks he has it ,(damaged unusible) he said it has a 12 bolt rear what else should I be looking for & what is it worth ?

·
Registered
283 Posts
28 coils on hood springs. tire inflation sticker in glove box. If the numbers match on the 396

·
Registered
237 Posts
There is suppose to be a build sheet with this car. And the guy has some unbelievable cars as in pace cars, ls6 chevelles, judges and all of these cars were bought in the early 70's. I'm pretty positive it's real but make sure there is a build sheet otherwise you will never be able to prove it.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you can get a look at the underdash wiring harness, and it has not been replaced, you have a chance of at least verifying if it was an original 4sp or if it was an auto. You could also try to get a look at the shifter hole to see if it is a factory looking hole.

Should have a 12 bolt multi, but that's an easy swap. Does not have to be posi...that was optional.

If it has AC I've heard it can't be a true SS396.

With a 68 it's hard to be sure, so unless the guy has the documents to prove it...., don't pay him SS money.

Mine was supposed to be an "SS" too, but the more I've taken it apart, the more I verify it's clone-ness.

I only paid my seller for a clean and running big block 4 sp. Then I tore it apart....I refused to pay SS money without the papers. He finally buckled.
:)

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
If it has AC I've heard it can't be a true SS396.
I heard if it doesn't have a console with tach and gauges, it can't be a true SS. And this was from a guy who was alive when these cars where new, and saw several at the dealership.
Of course I have never checked any fact books or websites to confirm this, but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
My previous post was a little tongue in cheek, but someone did actually say that to me at a car show a couple weeks ago.
Actually, console not standard and you could get AC with any motor, except solid lifter, on any 68 Camaro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts