Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a long time ago being told that a real ss Camaros had reverse lights?

I have been looking at a number of documented cars.

The ones with the bumble bee stripe or stipe delete seem to have the reverse lights. The ones with ss stripes don't have the lights. All these cars are straight ss cars. No rs ss cars

What is the deal?

Mine is sitting in primer and peices, but has the back lights with a standard valance up front?

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
All Camaros have Reverse lights, they were required by law - it's the location of them that is deferent on RS v.s. Standard models.
The standard trim Camaro has the reverse lights incorporated into the Stop/Tail light housing. They are next to the Red lens on the inside location for 67~68 and centered between the Red lenses on 69's.
The RS option moves the location of the lights to below the rear bumper in seperate little housings on each side for all these years.
There is no option difference in the SS models that relocates the Reverse lights, unless the RS option was also ordered - then they are moved, as discribed above, but the SS badging takes presidence over the RS badges.
So location of the lights has nothing to do with the ordering of the SS option alone ...

If your car's reverse light location does not fit the above discription of the options, then something was changed in it's later years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr Thumbs down!

Tell me something I dont know!

Go to the Vette Forum and let me school you.

Didn't the 67 Vette have that cool single reverse light

·
Registered
489 Posts
Tony, Vintage actually answered your post pretty clearly as to how you wrote it. Was there something else that you were looking for?

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Tony I think Vintage 68 answered the question as it was written. Did we miss something in reading your question?

I have an original 68 SS and it does have reverse lights just as Vintage stated. I also have owned 68 Z/28s, 68 RS and 68 Base coupes and all have reverse lights, as required by law, only the location is different if the RS option is ordered. This includes adding the RS option to one of the performance models like the SS and Z/28. In any RS car they are located below the rear bumper. All others are part of the tail light assembly.

Some people in modifying their cars install the RS tail light lens without the reverse light. This results in a totally red tail light and no white reverse lens. Is that what you are finding in the 68 cars you are looking at?

If you are asking was there a special reverse light that could be ordered other than the RS reverse lights, no there never was a single reverse light option for the Camaro.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
i think reverse lights became standard equipment in 1966.. therefore making all camaros equiped with reverse lights.....

·
Registered
508 Posts
i'm just guessing that he's refering to the rs back up lights being below the bumper.........not sure why he's gettin a little cocky. i thought the answer that Vintage gave was perfect for someone that worded his question the way that Tony did. we're all just trying to help dude!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts