Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a 68 camaro that I believe to be a true SS. All clues seem to be in line - 12 bolt, disc brakes and finned drums out back, multileaf springs, exhaust hanger welded to frame, etc. One thing has me puzzled though. It has emblems similar to a 67 on the front fenders, crossed flags and then the SS emblems on the front of the fender in the bumble bee stripe. The fender does have the side marker though. This car has been repainted, but the emblems show the wear I would expect out of original ones. Would it be possible that this 68 was one of the first SS produced and they used 67 emblems on it? Or am I just stretching for an original item?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Most likely not. The 67 and 68 badging are very different and GM is never been known to use such a practice with there emblems. Internal parts and engine components have made there way into preceeding year cars, but the price of making a new emblem does not justify the confussion. Although GM was slopping in the early years with some consistancy, this is not one of them. Maybe the prior owner wanted the flags because they look cool.

------------------
68 RS/SS 396/375
--------------------
[url="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1203077&a=8932026&p=29208585&f=0"]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1203077&a=8932026&p=29208585&f=0[/url][/url]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after a closer inspection, the original emblem holes have been bondoed shut. I guess maybe he did think the flags were cooler :) Personally, I like the big SS on the side, but to each his own....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Chevy actually went the other way with badging. My 67 was late in the line and came with some 68 badging (grille emblem, horn cap, gas cap all were plain SS while the 67 should have been SS 350.

·
Banned
21,341 Posts
I have seen a first gen car w/ a silver high-lighted black RS grill but w/ '67 wide RS undivided tailights on it.

I thought it was strange and have wondered if GM didn't mix them between model year changes, like late '67/early '68??? pdq67

1 - 6 of 6 Posts