Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any suggestions for installing, have tryed to kits, from classic, when you go over top of fender you end up with a mile of extra material to keep everything even, as per assembly manual measurements???

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...just to be sure, ...do you have the correct kit?
the "hockey strick" stripe I always thought referred to the '69 stripe, ...where for '68 it's the "D80 stripe".
I'm not picking your words apart, ...just wanted to be sure...

I have the D80 stripe on my 68 and the template worked fine (...I believe I ordered it through Rick's, ...way back when...)

Kevin

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
68 SS stripes, goes around top of frt & down body line to backl of doors, did not know the exact name

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
68 SS stripes, goes around top of frt & down body line to backl of doors, did not know the exact name
...sounds like you're describing '68 since you mentioned down the 'body line'.
Interestingly enough, ...the photo that Rick's uses in their catalog for the '68 stripe, ...that's my car.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Those stripes are about 6" to long. They don't go all the way to the back edge of the door. Somewhere in the 68 AIM (RPO D90) theres a page with the stripe shown being that long, but no cars were made that way. The stripe ends in front of the door handle, maybe 10" forward of the rear edge of the door.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Those stripes are about 6" to long. They don't go all the way to the back edge of the door. Somewhere in the 68 AIM (RPO D90) theres a page with the stripe shown being that long, but no cars were made that way. The stripe ends in front of the door handle, maybe 10" forward of the rear edge of the door.
Now you tell me.:D I made my best investigation prior to instalation. Mines are ending about an inch before the door edge.
>> BTW, the stripe kit was easy for me to instal. I have the stencil front section, which the body shop just painted for me, with vinyl side stripes.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Maybe it isn't that long. I can't find a single picture on the web of a 68 D90 stripe that ends more than about 2" forward of the rear door edge. I had a 68 a billion years ago that had an original painted front/Vinyl side stripe and as I remember it the stripe ended further forward than 1 or 2" from the door edge. Anyone got the 68 D90 AIM page?

·
Premium Member
22,122 Posts
I used an "all stencil kit" from D&R a couple years ago...
And they were indeed quite a few inches to long, particularly the door piece, which was 6" longer than the door.

To make it work, I ended up bringing the door piece back as close to the rear edge of the door as possible (to get the stripe as fat as I could at the front of the door)
There is still a bit of the width difference between the stripe at the back of the fender and the front of the door, but it is less than 1/8".

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If that's true, then there are a LOT of cars out there with incorrect stripes. I don't think I've ever seen one where the stripe ends 10" from the door edge.

I'm going to check the AIM tonight, but mine are painted on so it's too late to change...

·
Registered
352 Posts
When I did mine, the kit door stripe was way too long. I shortened it up to what was in the Assembly Manual, and I believe it's supposed to end under or near the door lock cylinder

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am installing a kit with is all decals, the pieces that are L shaped that go at top frt of fender & wrap over side of fender are the pieces that are the trouble, there is just too much when you wrap over top lip of fender?? should this piece be cut & done in 2 pieces? 2 different so called professionals have already destroyed 2 kits for me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts