Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Charlotte tomorrow and will be looking for a few things. I know how to spot repos, but what is the best way to determine if a walnut steering wheel (original) is for a 68 Camaro?

·
Registered
434 Posts
A real GM walnut wheel is more on the brown-side and not as "colorful".

The repro, you can spot from 50ft away.....it's more of a "mustard yellow" yellow, with lots of "wood swirl" and super glossy....:noway:

If you're looking for something that's close to original, IMHO, it's not worth the plastic it's made from.....

But if correctness is not important, then what the hell....

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
You might want to do a search on this topic as there have been a number of postings on it. I'm pretty sure that '68 Camaro walnut wheels have one of the spokes 'offset' from the others to fit in a notch in the hub. Mine does. Corvette wheels may have the same feature, I just don't remember. Also, there has been a lot of discussion on the correct depth of the wheel - 4 inches versus 4-1/2 inches or some such thing.

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
... but what is the best way to determine if a walnut steering wheel (original) is for a 68 Camaro?
Look for all the signs that it is old and probably been installed on something :D
The chances of any NOS wheels still floating around for anything less than a couple digit representation of the Gross-National Debit are very slim ...
Look for the spokes to be Brushed Stainless on the front side and a dull polished Stainless on the back of the spokes. The brush finish seems to be done before the parts are welded together, as the center spoke brush marks go all the way up to the cross section. This could not be done once the units are welded.
The center hub is @4" below the top of the rim. Wood wheels for other years and applications have different rim inset measurements.
I've seen wheels with a stamped 'letter' (?) in the backside 'wood' area, but the one I have now doesn't have any noticable manufacture's marks on it. There is a small 'dimple' in the plastic rim where the center spoke joins the rim.
The center spoke is spot-welded to the cross spokes with two (2) deep spot-welds - these welds are counter sunk into the rear of the spoke at the weld and are flush to the front cross spoke surface. I'm sure this is part of the manufacturing process to be sure the wheel sits flat on the adapter. The lower center spoke intersects the two lower mount holes on the back where it is welded on. It does not present a flat surface and the adapter is machined for this.
As stated, the original color is a dark 'Root-beer'-ish shade with noticable plastic material 'swirls' in them to replicate "wood-graining" - the newer wheels I've seen don't come close to getting this right.

Hope some of this helps you find a 'real' one;
John

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As always, you guys are awesome!!! This will help alot. I currently have the steering wheel that isn't reproduced (the one with the two horn buttons and SS emblem in the shroud). I restored it and it looks great, plus it is has good value, but I have always liked the wood wheel better. Matches up with the dash bezel. Thanks!!!

Tim

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Not sure about that.......I've never been to Carlisle. I hope to be able to take my 68RSSS there one of these years. Hopefully in 2008.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I found one that was a 5 out of 10 ($325). No major cracks but the woodgrain wasn't very clear. Everything I saw at Charlotte seemed to be inflated. I decided to wait and try my luck on Epay. Anyone got one?

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Nice description vintage 68.
That makes the one I bought off epay for 195.00 correct.:hurray:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thewebb1, from what I can tell you got a good deal. I walked Charlotte all day Friday and found one that was in decent shape and he wanted $325, it did include the mounting base and horn. If the wheel had been in better shape I would have bought it. I'll keep looking.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't think it is for a 68 Camaro, maybe early 69. 68 should be 16" diameter and 4 inches deep. Maybe some of the experts will chime in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts