Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a source for the vinyl adhesive appliques that match the 68 original walnut? I am trying to work out the best way to install an aftermarket radio.

Thanks

·
Gold Lifetime Member
856 Posts
Ricks sells reproduction adhesive pre-cut pieces of the vinyl - page 111 of their 2006 catalog has the forward console insert adhesive woodgrain piece for $3.95, I've been considering buying one and trying to use it to recover my black ashtray, looks just wide enough if it's got a tiny bit of stretch - perhaps a heat gun would come in handy. It sounds like you need a large piece to recover the whole center dash panel. I haven't seen rolls of it anywhere, but they must exist if Ricks can get the pre-cut pieces. Might be an idea for someone to find the source and make repro woodgrain ashtrays. There's no way I'm paying $200 for an ashtray, even if it is original.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I think someone mentioned that they found a pretty close match using contact paper from walmart.
Rick's is in business....even if they buy the stuff at WalMart and cut pieces out of it, they gotta extra for it. Otherwise, they would not be there to supply us. I was there once, looking for replacement spoiler studs. The guy showed me those special studs that are wood screw on one end, and machine screw on the other. He said they weren't going to offer them, due to the risk of cracking the spoilers, and did not want the potential headaches. He did offer to sell me the "prototype" set for $20. I bought them at Ace for $5, and then ended up not using them. If I can find them, I'll sell for $20!! :) Just kidding!!!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I am working on DIN radio install using a Volvo mounting kit. If if works, I'll post some photos. If not, it is back to the East Tennessee Hillbilly engineering board.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts