Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently doing a 68 BB SS restoration. My windlace is old and worn out. Ricks has one in the catalog but when ordered they contacted me and said the piece is of poor quality and they were not going to sell it any longer. Can anyone offer any help or am I SOL.

Thanks.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Try and find a good original, or an NOS (expensive) piece. The repro windlace is probably the single worst reproduction part that I have come across...They are truly pathetic in every way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda what I've been gathering. I guess my originals are somewhat useable if re-painted ect..
But you would think somebody could make a decent replacement.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Usally windlace isn't too hard to find. What color are you looking for.

·
Registered
75 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The interior color is ivy gold. Both sides are definately a little rough. A re-dyed piece that is not beat up as bad would probably be better than what I have.

Thanks,for the help!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was in the same boat and tried something different. I had a spare set of the windlace that fits above the side windows. I just took one of those, cut it to length, and glued on a vinyl endcap. It installed perfectly. Not exactly like the original, but it looks great.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ended up buying a cheap set of re-pos, spraying them, then put them on. Not great, but not terrible either. Went on to fight other battles. I'm sure I'll get back there sometime.

HG

·
0 Posts
Ricks now includes a disclaimer in their catalog that the windlass repro is not of very high standard. I've noticed they include such disclaimers, or say "the repro is better than the new GM because the GM tooling is worn", on several other parts in their catalog. At least they are being upfront on some of this stuff.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The ones I used came from Dennys in Mountville PA. I don't think Rick's even offers these. They were like 20 bucks a set and not bad for that!
HG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts