Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car I just bought doesn't have AC or heat. What am I up against in adding one or both? Is the AC a huge project? How hard is it to get the under the dash to install the fans and stuff?
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
A Vintage Air a/c kit would be probably the easiest solution if you would like a/c.
I dare say it would be an easier install as well verses an original a/c system from a doner, and much nicer than just a heater.
Not cheaper, but certainly better.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If you really live in San Diego and are asking about A/C I assume you are an Eskimo.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you really live in San Diego and are asking about A/C I assume you are an Eskimo.
Haha. I wasn't asking to do or not. I was asking how much of a pain it is to install.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A Vintage Air a/c kit would be probably the easiest solution if you would like a/c.
I dare say it would be an easier install as well verses an original a/c system from a doner, and much nicer than just a heater.
Not cheaper, but certainly better.
Thank you for the very helpful reply. I am familiar with the vintage air system. Have you installed one before?
Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Duplicate post.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Thank you for the very helpful reply. I am familiar with the vintage air system. Have you installed one before?
Thanks
Paul
Not sure if I understand about being an Eskimo in San Diego.. I thought it was warm all year 'round. I've been to LA in Winter (Jan 89) and it was lovely and warm..
While I was there I felt an Earthquake on the Queen Mary -docked at Long Beach, which was 6 on the Ricter in San Diego, so it can't be that far away. :D
Edit: Actually, it only reached 5.. http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/significant/sigequs.php

Anyway, yes. My install was considerably harder becuase I modified it to fit a RHD application, but still, the install was very easy and it works very well so far. (I say "so far" because the car isn't drivable yet. The a/c is up and running and it blows cold.)

I didn't take that many pics, but some info is on page 7..
http://www.usmuscle.com.au/Forum/showthread.php?t=2840&page=7
I guess the conversion stuff is irrelevant anyway.
..a bit more on running it on page 35.. :)

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I installed a vintage Air system in my 68 and it is very well designed and fit great IMO. If you have no heater at all it is actually easier as you don't have to hassle with removing the old heater. Mine works great here in the desert.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I installed a vintage Air system in my 68 and it is very well designed and fit great IMO. If you have no heater at all it is actually easier as you don't have to hassle with removing the old heater. Mine works great here in the desert.
Thanks Larry. I've heard a lot of good things about the VA system and if it works in the desert, it'll work great in San Diego. Do you really need to remove the fender or wheel well to install it?
Paul

·
Registered
561 Posts
I installed Classic Auto Air in my '68 Camaro over two years ago. Very similar to the Vintage Air unit. Did not have to remove the fender or inner fender well. Takes 25-40 hours to install depending on skill level. It is easier to do with your seats and in dash stereo removed. My kit allowed me to use the original a/c & heater dash controls. When done the system must be evacuated and charged up with 134. Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I installed Classic Auto Air in my '68 Camaro over two years ago. Very similar to the Vintage Air unit. Did not have to remove the fender or inner fender well. Takes 25-40 hours to install depending on skill level. It is easier to do with your seats and in dash stereo removed. My kit allowed me to use the original a/c & heater dash controls. When done the system must be evacuated and charged up with 134. Good luck!
Thanks Iron Man- I checked out the CA site and it looks like a nice setup too. I'll have to wait until I can dedicate so much time to it. You make me think I should combine it with my future dash/stereo redo.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
If you have never had air installed will the air work with the current dash panel that now runs the fan,heat and defrost or do you need to buy a new panel section? (I have a base model 68).

Toyman

·
13,738 Posts
You can install VA in a weekend. The hardest part is getting to old stuff out. If yours is out already you're 1/2 done lol

VA and Classic give you AC, Heat, Defrost. Both kits allow you to use/modify the factory controls.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts