Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to cleanup the Steering Column on my 68 Camaro. The column is a non-tilt and is for a floor shift car - the most basic. Good thing I took it apart, the lower bearing is shot. The seals were gone and the ball bearings fell right out. The upper bearing seems to be in good shape. I have two questions that I'm hoping to get some help with.

1) What is a good bearing grease for the column bearings. The factory "grease" seems to be some sort of brownish lub that is very sticky. Would regular high temp bearing grease be fine?

2) I have to replace the lower bearing. After reviewing many discussion threads and searching vendors, I have found that a direct replacement is not being produced. There seems to be two choices of replacements. Heartbeat City Camaro has a bearing in an adaptor that is very similar to the original. Ricks Camaros (and others) have a replacement that is held in by screws and requires the removal of the plastic adjusting nut and threads at the bottom of the steering shaft. I like the idea of the one that is similar to the original. does anybody have any experience with either one? Does anyone know of a source of NOS original bearing replacements?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts