Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased this 68 Z28 roller...original motor motor and trans are gone,but it does still have the original rear end with a 3894860N stamp which decodes as being a 1968 Camaro rear end..any help authenticating would be appreciated. Car was a show car back in the 80's,and kept in storage for a very long time.Georgia is home now.

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,197 Posts
Great pictures, looks like a good project. There are some real experts here that can help you identify what you have. I am curious if you'll be keeping all the molded sheet metal or going back to original?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!.the fender flares are fiberglass and are attached to the original sheetmetal metal.i plan to keep the flares.im going to get jim macneish to come out and authenticate the car in the next month or so.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
With the original engine and transmission gone, its just another Camaro, sorry to say.
Don't agree. One of mine has a CE block...................so its not a Z anymore? BS
that is your opinion.

Attachments

Reactions: 69Z28 and 68z28guy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With the original engine and transmission gone, its just another Camaro, sorry to say.
Definitely don't agree with that..its still possible to authenticate one without the engine and transmission..I still has the original rearend and several other identifying things intact.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Get Jerry M's book too if you don't have already? 67-68 Z/28 fact book

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
I think the debate is over badged Z-28's is whether it is a Z, was a Z, or never was a Z. The is/was is an argument black hole you will never climb out of. What isnt arguable is that knowlegeable people wont pay is prices for was or never was cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Get Jerry M's book too if you don't have already? 67-68 Z/28 fact book
Will definitely order soon.if jerry authenticates it as the real deal,would it be worth it to find a year correct 302 engine and install it?..with his with his certification.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the debate is over badged Z-28's is whether it is a Z, was a Z, or never was a Z. The is/was is an argument black hole you will never climb out of. What isnt arguable is that knowlegeable people wont pay is prices for was or never was cars.
I see your point of view.With a certified authentication,my car wont be a was or never was,and that point it "IS" a real Z28 car.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Will definitely order soon.if jerry authenticates it as the real deal,would it be worth it to find a year correct 302 engine and install it?..with his with his certification.
That debate rages here daily!! Everyone is different, I just did a non number DZ for 69 Z/28 because that's what it should have IMO. Our 68's are MO of course.

Reactions: 69Z28

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
And therein lies the dilemma. To some buyers a non original driveline car has entered the realm of was. To some sellers its irrelevant and so debate continues.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,762 Posts
Just purchased this 68 Z28 roller...original motor motor and trans are gone,but it does still have the original rear end with a 3894860N stamp which decodes as being a 1968 Camaro rear end..any help authenticating would be appreciated. Car was a show car back in the 80's,and kept in storage for a very long time.Georgia is home now.

View attachment 274699 View attachment 274700 View attachment 274701
Double glove box stickers, but the top one does look correct.

That's the casting number (NOT a stamp) of the axle. See if you can find the stamp on the passenger side tube,,,,
1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding (camaros.org)

...and a photo of the cowl tag, please...:)

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
There have been a ton of folks obsessed with numbers matching and they end up with a re-stamped fake in some cases.

Reactions: 68z28guy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Double glove box stickers, but the top one does look correct.

That's the casting number (NOT a stamp) of the axle. See if you can find the stamp on the passenger side tube,,,,
1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding (camaros.org)

...and a photo of the cowl tag, please...:)
How do double glovebox stickers work?.was that something the factory did or someone add another one during a restoration.?

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,762 Posts
How do double glovebox stickers work?.was that something the factory did or someone add another one during a restoration.?
Good question. Memory is fuzzy, but seem to recall seeing it before....

What about the axle stamp and cowl tag ??:geek:

BTW, all the Z emblems are out of place, but lots of body mods, obviously, so disregard...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good question. Memory is fuzzy, but seem to recall seeing it before....

What about the axle stamp and cowl tag ??:geek:

BTW, all the Z emblems are out of place, but lots of body mods, obviously, so disregard...
The cowl tag is gone..I'm having the car shipped to me in a few days...the seller is going to get the axle code for me this evening.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,762 Posts
Well, just needed the build date off the tag basically, so will have to settle for the VIN to determine the approximate build date. Omit the the last couple numbers if you're uncomfortable disclosing the entire VIN.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, just needed the build date off the tag basically, so will have to settle for the VIN to determine the approximate build date. Omit the the last couple numbers if you're uncomfortable disclosing the entire VIN.
Ordered a ncrs report and they emailed me this..the hard copy is being sent in the mail..vin osc124378N3928**

1 - 20 of 68 Posts