Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since it seems I will be in the nursing home before I can find/afford the correct 5 blade fan for my car, is there an after-market fan blade that can be substituted? It needs to fit my original fan shroud and clutch etc.:confused:

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
How about a vintage flex fan. They were a popular day two addition, and I think they are fairly reasonable on ebay. I don't know much about them, but I think there are different colors for different applications.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
How about a 6 blade fan?
fan looks exactly like the 5 blades.
But has an extra.

Used on Olds, and Pontiac.

Let me know -I have a few extras. $25+ freight

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts
Buy the 5 rivet 5 blade. Those are going for $100 or less and are that same in appearance and function.

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Buy the 5 rivet 5 blade. Those are going for $100 or less and are that same in appearance and function.
I tried to bid on one on E-scam and it went for $300. Other people are either trying the same thing or it's the typical (what I feel anyway) ghost bidding to bid it up. I was hoping there was some $30 thing I could get to use in the meantime. I'm about ready to get a towbar and just tow my Z behind my other car (while I sit in the Z and impress everyone).

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I picked a 5 blade fan at a Corvette swap meet. Fairly cheap ($20 or so) Looks identical to the Z28 fan, but I don't know if it is the same part #.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I put a 17 inch plastic fan from Summit on my big block and it runs 180 in 90 degree traffic. Moves a ton of air and very little rotating weight so its better for the water pump. Only about20.00 bucks but you will need a spacer and bolt kit. Just not a fan of heavy metal propellors, had a water pump shaft brake from one a a race car and go through the radiator, coolant on front tires head on crash into wall. Remenber less rotating weight means free horsepower!

Dan E.
69 SS396 4spd 4.10 posi x66 coupe

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have some 6 blade fan that looks like the 69 7 blade. I don't know what it is but if it's 18 in. I guess I'll use it. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
6,614 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
at least this way said:
Sure is. I just didn't think I was going to be able to get either one at the rate I was going. Thanks, I PM'd 4b316.

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
...I just PM'd 68Zproject, ...I might be able to help him.

(...and I already had my tape measure out, ....these are NOT the L78 ($1200) fans...)

I have a question, ...one of these two fans is now on my '67 327/275hp AC car.
For a '68 396BB, ...is it true this fan (ie clutch fan) was optional? in that you would normally get the standard 4 blade fan, ...or optionally the/this 5 blade (4 rivet) clutch fan could be correct?
...the answer here will determine if the fan is available...

Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The CRG has the best info on that. It would take me half and hour to try to post it so maybe someone who isn't a computer dork can do it. My reading of it is that the non solid lifter engines without A/C would have the four blade fan. Solid lifters or A/C would get you the clutch and fan.

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
You may also want to post the numbers stamped into the fan blades to better help determine what they are off of or are to fit :)

Kev

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
You may also want to post the numbers stamped into the fan blades to better help determine what they are off of or are to fit :)

Kev
...there are no numbers stamped on any of the blades on either fan. All I could find was one letter (and to be honest without looking at them, ...they are in the garage) I can't remember what it was. ("H", ..."W"? not sure). I've been meaning to read up on the CRG site for the details...

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
http://www.camaros.org/coolingsystems.shtml

The relevant section:
A fixed four-blade fan was the standard engine fan on all engines. There were two exceptions: the solid-lifter engines (Z28, L78, and COPO 427) and vehicles with AC used a temperature-controlled clutch fan as standard equipment.
The temperature-controlled clutch fan was also available as option K02 on the hydraulic-lifter engines for $15, but only 4712 1967-69 Camaros were ordered with this option. RPO C60 air conditioning included the K02 clutch fan as part of the AC package (while the V01 HD radiator option did not affect the fan usage). So yes, your SS350 or SS396 (325hp or 350 hp), if without AC, likely came with the standard four-blade fixed fan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts