Team Camaro Tech banner

81 - 100 of 149 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Cardboard!!!..surprisingly....the front passenger side fender has a little ugly in it,but the rest are good.
Cardboard?? With bondo or FG?

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Update:..I just talked with the Kansas Department of Revenue...they have records of the car!!!..but of course I wont know what those records are until i fill out their requests for records for and pay the fee...they lady I talked with said that she can see history of the car in her new system,but when i pay the fee,they will check their old system and microfilm and give me any documentation that they have...she said it could be anything from original titles to registration to orginal dealer invoices and even window stickers..fingers crossed..

·
Registered
577 Posts
Iv'e seen chicken wire and bondo but not cardboard. Maybe you'll find a newspaper and it will date the time of repair. Just kidding you. All kinds of backyard stuff done years ago for a quick sell. I would listen to the advice given by the experience of the above and heed their warnings. But if you still decide to keep the flares, buy some quality parts and do it right. And I agree, that 302 is not going to be very fun for street driving, especially due to the amount of traffic that will be constantly hold you back. Better carry extra sets of brake pads/shoes for all the hard braking you'll encounter. That motor was designed to run near constant high rpm's on the track. You will spend a lot of time adjusting and re-tuning it, so be prepared. I've owned two 302 Camaro's. A '68 and a '69. Others here have owned more and they are telling you the same. It's yours and I respect that entirely, but slow down and truly make some rational decisions about what you actually want and go from there. As mentioned, you seem to be wandering around in your head and constantly coming up with a different approach to go with. This will eat up thousands of dollars that will be wasted and you'll be the one holding the bag in the end. I have nothing in this, but just want you to build a car that you can afford that will be usable and enjoyable. Not trying to be harsh or counter productive. Good luck with your choices.

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
4,814 Posts
Update:..I just talked with the Kansas Department of Revenue...they have records of the car!!!..but of course I wont know what those records are until i fill out their requests for records for and pay the fee...they lady I talked with said that she can see history of the car in her new system,but when i pay the fee,they will check their old system and microfilm and give me any documentation that they have...she said it could be anything from original titles to registration to orginal dealer invoices and even window stickers..fingers crossed..
I don't think you'll get any previous owner info if that's what you're after. Pretty sure federal laws prohibit that.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Not being from Kansas I doubt you will get the info .
View attachment 276803
I talked to a lady today that is in the records department,I told her that I wasnt from Kansas,she said it's not a problem..its not only public for Kansas residents..I just have to show that I have a reason to request the records.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
My middle class sensability would not be spending the money you will end up spending on a car that will not be very desirable. I have built 36 F bodies over the years starting in 1978 and never lost money on any of the first gen cars. The business wouldn't let me! I do a plan, budget less than the car may be worth if an when sold. I have never had more than $42 k in any one of my cars. My avatar is a very desirable car and I knew that when I bought it in 06. Black over white, 468/500 or so HP, 4 SPD super t-10, 3:55 12 bolt posi, 4 wheel disc brakes from Summit, stops as good as more costly brakes but 1/2 the cost, Gabriel shocks ($25) Addco sway bar. stock suspension with poly bushings, IROC steering box, BFG on 17x8 Foose, Flowmaster exhaust, OEM tilt, guages, new PUI interior, all new chrome, metro rubber, 2500w Pioneer in upholstered trunk, vintage AC, electric headlights. First place in 18 shows and best engine in all 18, best paint twice, best interior 4. Cost of restoration $24k, purchased rust free 1 owner RSSS from Corona, CA, needed no body work, $17K. Did all the work in my shop so my labor is not counted. Build 6 since then in the same price range. The engine is chromed out and runs great, stops great and is solid and comfortable without spending stupid money on upgrades that are just as good as less cost components. I tore up a check I got from and client for $80k, can't do it cause the car was built for my wife. Plenty of cars built like mine, not necessarily the detail. I just wanted to have you think of what you want, do a budget and don't get crazy, unless of course if you have too much money and want to spend it on the car. John hit it right on the head as far as keeping the flares and spoiler and the 302.. . . . .not desirable. Have you driven a Z by the way? Just an old Camaro Guy talkin.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
My middle class sensability would not be spending the money you will end up spending on a car that will not be very desirable. I have built 36 F bodies over the years starting in 1978 and never lost money on any of the first gen cars. The business wouldn't let me! I do a plan, budget less than the car may be worth if an when sold. I have never had more than $42 k in any one of my cars. My avatar is a very desirable car and I knew that when I bought it in 06. Black over white, 468/500 or so HP, 4 SPD super t-10, 3:55 12 bolt posi, 4 wheel disc brakes from Summit, stops as good as more costly brakes but 1/2 the cost, Gabriel shocks ($25) Addco sway bar. stock suspension with poly bushings, IROC steering box, BFG on 17x8 Foose, Flowmaster exhaust, OEM tilt, guages, new PUI interior, all new chrome, metro rubber, 2500w Pioneer in upholstered trunk, vintage AC, electric headlights. First place in 18 shows and best engine in all 18, best paint twice, best interior 4. Cost of restoration $24k, purchased rust free 1 owner RSSS from Corona, CA, needed no body work, $17K. Did all the work in my shop so my labor is not counted. Build 6 since then in the same price range. The engine is chromed out and runs great, stops great and is solid and comfortable without spending stupid money on upgrades that are just as good as less cost components. I tore up a check I got from and client for $80k, can't do it cause the car was built for my wife. Plenty of cars built like mine, not necessarily the detail. I just wanted to have you think of what you want, do a budget and don't get crazy, unless of course if you have too much money and want to spend it on the car. John hit it right on the head as far as keeping the flares and spoiler and the 302.. . . . .not desirable. Have you driven a Z by the way? Just an old Camaro Guy talkin.
Iove the feedback,but I'm still firm on what i believe...the desirability of something is subjective on a person to person basis...Just because a large percentage of people may not find something to be desirable,doesnt mean that everyone has the same perspective...for example..I spend atleast $1500 every month on sneakers...some people have told me that its obscene,but I have several friends that do the same exact thing and are into it...I think just because something is out of the norm,doesnt mean that something is wrong with it or that it should be valued at a lesser value..its all about what someone likes,and what they are willing to pay..I personally like the fact that the car has the correct engine that that its suppose to have and that it's not a Ls or another common engine..plus "what's a Z28 without a 302"?...I'm a big advocate for the Dare to be different saying...I dont want my car to look like every other gen 1 Camaro,I want it to be as unique as possible.i could've bought a gen 1 without the flares,but I didn't because I personally dont care for them in their stock form..I've always had a thing for widebody cars...but that's just me...I love gen 1 Camaros,but I have more of a liking for widebody gen 1's...even if I bought one with a stock body,i would still modify it and add flares.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 · (Edited)
"I spend at least $1500 every month on sneakers" If this is true you might want to reevaluate your priorities. I am sure most thought this but I am going to say it. Good luck with your car and your shoe closet.
Why should I reevaluate my priorities?..especially if its something that I evaluated before I started,and know that I can afford to do it comfortably?..plus $500 of that $1500 monthly budget goes towards getting my 2 teenage nephews shoes..as long as they maintain their grades,I reward each of them with a monthly $250 sneaker budget a piece...several of my family members say that I dont have to do that,but it's what I want to do..and since I've been doing it,both of them now maintain A's and B's...but back on subject...everything is just a matter of ones own personal perspective and interest.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,906 Posts
Good on ya, Brandon, enough said on the sneaker bit and your personal life!...lol (y)

What's the plan with the flares ? Body filler (bondo) and cardboard don't cut it. It's a wonder all 4 haven't fell off by now. What's your body guy say ?? I can't imagine doing a quality paint job over such a weak foundation that will fail in a short matter of time if the car is driven. I would think they should be fiberglass at least and grafted on with underlying mechanical fasteners of some sort (rivets, screws, etc.) ?

I have a some experience with glass, but nothing of this magnitude.... :unsure:

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Enough said on the sneaker bit and your personal life...lol (y)

What's the plan with the flares ? Body filler (bondo) and cardboard don't cut it. It's a wonder all 4 haven't fell off by now. What's your body guy say ?? I can't imagine doing a quality paint job over such a weak foundation that will fail in a short matter of time if the car is driven. I would think they should be fiberglass at least and grafted on with underlying mechanical fasteners of some sort (rivets, screws, etc.) ?
My exact thoughts.lol....I'll have to get more info on the cardboard..I know he said the flares were molded out with bondo,and when he looked under he said he saw cardboard in there,so I took that as he was referring to what was in the center of the mold to make the shape..could be wrong. I'll ask him to today for more clarity..if it really is cardboard I find it interesting that its held up so strong after all these years?

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I dunno, are sure it was driven much ? Kinda thinkin it was mainly a show car....
I think it is fiberglass to be honest with you..well at least the rear spoiler is I think..it has a chip in it and I can see the fiberglass...but on the flares he said it was molded outward with bondo/filler.

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Earlier in the post you mentioned sand blasting your car. I believe it might be safer to not use sand or harsh media and use some other type of media such as a wet blasting version to help lessen the heat associated with some media materials used to help keep heat from warping metal panels. It is also possible that harsher media might actually destroy your fender flares
100% wrong. Heat has nothing to do with warpage from blasting. Compressive forces warp panels. This misinformation has been perpetuated for years by people who know nothing about the business.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Good on ya, Brandon, enough said on the sneaker bit and your personal life!...lol (y)

I have a some experience with glass, but nothing of this magnitude.... :unsure:
His exact words "No,no. No cardboard incorporated into the mold itself. It's on the inner side of the wheelhouse. Used as a backer or dam to provide a stopping point for the fiberglass when they molded in flares. Otherwise it would just keep pushing through the hole and never build shape. I'm gonna try to make a metal filler piece or fiberglass on the back side. We can look it over when you come up."

81 - 100 of 149 Posts