Team Camaro Tech banner

101 - 120 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
7,905 Posts
Good on ya, Brandon, enough said on the sneaker bit and your personal life!...lol (y)

What's the plan with the flares ? Body filler (bondo) and cardboard don't cut it. It's a wonder all 4 haven't fell off by now. What's your body guy say ?? I can't imagine doing a quality paint job over such a weak foundation that will fail in a short matter of time if the car is driven. I would think they should be fiberglass at least and grafted on with underlying mechanical fasteners of some sort (rivets, screws, etc.) ?

I have a some experience with glass, but nothing of this magnitude.... :unsure:
Then you would know that heavy mods like this done with poor quality fail over time. That is why mods are performed with metal, not fiberglass and filler on top of metal. Even panel adhesive is not to be used on exposed seams. Most in the biz know this. No way I would let that car leave my shop with those old flare mods without a signed waiver. Even then, most would not do it as it would reflect badly on the quality of their work.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,906 Posts
Then you would know that heavy mods like this done with poor quality fail over time. That is why mods are performed with metal, not fiberglass and filler on top of metal. Even panel adhesive is not to be used on exposed seams. Most in the biz know this. No way I would let that car leave my shop with those old flare mods without a signed waiver. Even then, most would not do it as it would reflect badly on the quality of their work.
Yeah, no guarantees on longevity. My experience has mainly been with VW "Baja's", personal toys, so not a major investment or reputation at stake. I take pride in my work as much as the next guy though.

The body looks encouraging so far, Brandon...no (rust)holes !?🤞

EDIT;
Hey Scott, just noticed I'm 2 posts up on ya (7888-7886) :p....'course I joined a week earlier than you. lol 🍺🍺

·
Premium Member
4,609 Posts
Think I will no longer pay any attention to this post.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Yeah, no guarantees on longevity. My experience has mainly been with VW "Baja's", personal toys, so not a major investment or reputation at stake. I take pride in my work as much as the next guy though.

The body looks encouraging so far, Brandon...no (rust)holes !?🤞

EDIT;
Hey Scott, just noticed I'm 2 posts up on ya (7888-7886) :p....'course I joined a week earlier than you. lol 🍺🍺
Fingers are on no holes🤞...and in regards to the quality of the work,as long as the rust is seen about I'm happy...I dont want metal flares..I want the ones that are on there now..if they can be preserved and remain soild.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Ordered a few parts yesterday...I also got the upgraded Moog control arm bushings for the control arm.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Those Moog control arm bushings won't work with the control arms you're showing. Completely different design. What brand are the parts (mainly ball joints) in the D&R kit?
I'm not really sure on the brand of the ball joints in the D&R...I came close to paying $5100 for the Ridetech front and rear suspension but didnt for the following reasons.
-I dont do any pro touring racing.
-i dont do any drag racing.
  • it's a street car.
  • the 302 only makes in the 300's at the crank for torque,so it not like I'm trying to put a bunch of power to the ground.lol..so this will work just fine for what I plan to do with the car.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
You would better to replace an original car with an original front end rebuild kit for less than a grand and it will handle like it did when it was new. Don't need that stuff for what you will do with the car.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
You would better to replace an original car with an original front end rebuild kit for less than a grand and it will handle like it did when it was new. Don't need that stuff for what you will do with the car.
I agree...the biggest reason I put a newer suspension on is for the ride height adjustability factor...I also wanted a little better ride than stock..and I wanted it to have a better aesthetic appeal underneath as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
What is it called?Since you seem to know it all.
I would call it maybe a resto-mod, at best. My guess the reason he suggested moving it is because this isn't a restoration, not when you're adding a 4 link, tubular A-arms and coil overs.

Here is what restoration corner reads as (notice originally comes first). The suspension you're showing is far from that.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
I would call it maybe a resto-mod, at best. My guess the reason he suggested moving it is because this isn't a restoration, not when you're adding a 4 link, tubular A-arms and coil overs.

Here is what restoration corner reads as (notice originally comes first). The suspension you're showing is far from that.

View attachment 277140
I think that's subjective at best...yeah it has tubular control arms and other modifications,but on the flip side it has "not the original motor",but the kind if motor that car originally came with...the word restoration as it relates to classic cars is very vast in meaning...restoration back to factory specs...restoration back to factory with a few upgrades...restoration back to drivers condition...frame off restoration...frame on restoration...pro touring restoration..restomod restoration..

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
A car is only brand new with factory parts once....which is why there is a difference between a restored car and a survivor car..

·
15,227 Posts
Moved to the more appropriate Build Projects Forum

Reactions: allanjs

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Thanks Vega!..wouldn't want anyone here to have a conniption over the thin line between Restoration and Build.

101 - 120 of 149 Posts