Team Camaro Tech banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
As I have mentioned many times, having owned 37 of these cars over 40 years, many have been daily drivers, the most road friendly and comfortable were the original confireration, suspension etc. My 56k all original RSSS that I have owned for 31 years, maintained of course with OEM parts when needed, is the most comfortable trouble free first gen I have owned, currently I have 5 all different configurations, so I would say I have good comparison and experience with these cars, how many have you driven before making changes to original?

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
As I have mentioned many times, having owned 37 of these cars over 40 years, many have been daily drivers, the most road friendly and comfortable were the original confireration, suspension etc. My 56k all original RSSS that I have owned for 31 years, maintained of course with OEM parts when needed, is the most comfortable trouble free first gen I have owned, currently I have 5 all different configurations, so I would say I have good comparison and experience with these cars, how many have you driven before making changes to original?
This is my first gen1,but in my short 32 years here on earth I've owned atleast 20 cars so far...from Pontiac tempests,SS chevelles,to mercedes Amgs....the only platform that I have any experience with as far as changing the suspension platform is the Amg platform..they come with a problematic air suspension,so I switched all of mine over to BC coilovers...so I guess I just automatically associate coilovers as being a good thing in any platform..plus i think they look cool.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Do you have a complete plan on each components? Its like building a house, plan, budget and direct activites to accomblish the plan. Seems like your just flying by the seat of your pants as opposed to a restoration plan. The more you veer away from keeping the car "original" the more you defeat the purpose of it being a Z-28 and the value as well. JMO

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Do you have a complete plan on each components? Its like building a house, plan, budget and direct activites to accomblish the plan. Seems like your just flying by the seat of your pants as opposed to a restoration plan. The more you veer away from keeping the car "original" the more you defeat the purpose of it being a Z-28 and the value as well. JMO
No restoration plan...and yes I am flying by the seat of my pants.lol..I dont have a budget and I'm not keeping up with how much I'm spending on purpose...I'll tally up everything after its complete..and in regards to veering away from originality,I thought Z's came with chambered exhaust?..I may be confusing it with an L78 tho...and in my opinion,i could upgrade every component on the car to an aftermarket part,but as long as i have the year correct 302,it will always remain a Z.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,906 Posts
Chambered exhaust debuted in 69 (model year). Here's a quote from CRG...
Chambered dual exhaust was initially standard on Z28, L34, and L78, but was made optional in November 68 due to noise restrictions (also available on COPO cars), and was finally discontinued in May 69.

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 · (Edited)
If you truly intend to keep the flares and corvette bumpers perhaps change the project name to FrankenZ
Oh great,another fender flare dismissal...there's nothing Frankenstein about the car having fender flares...if it's not your cup of tea,then that's perfectly fine...if someone offered to remove all of the flares and moldings for free,I'd respectfully decline...its going to be one of the most,if not THE MOST unique Z's on the road.

·
Registered
1968 Z28 RS Camaro 302 British Green M.O.
323 Posts
Amen to saving my Sanity🤣...I definitely agree with that!..I also respect your opinion as well as Vega's...in regards to the body,personally I would explode and have a conniption if the flares and moldings were removed. Lol..its a large part of the reason why I bought the car in the first place..in regards to the car being a real Z,I'm 100% certain it is,based off what I've learned from contributions from several of the guys on this site,as well as through my own research..There are plenty of cloned Z's out there,But this isn't one of them..but I agree with you fully about the biggest thing the cars has going for it,is the fact that it's a Z...so now I pose this question...I have a Real Z car...with a real Mo 302...and a car that has body mods that I want to keep..how do I maximize the value of the car while keeping the body mods and the 302 that I have?.I'm really liking the upgraded suspension..I'm also having a custom front spoiler molded into the front as well...with all of the stuff I'm doing to the car It will definitely be worth alot more than 45k...of course not to a purist,but to a unconventional gen 1 Z buyer that likes flares,it'll before much more than that...I think my car is caught in between a weird paradox. Lol...Real Z but with flares and modifications..as I stated before it would take a unique buyer.
I think Brandon is right for what he's doing. Keeping a Z with MO as close as you can too how it was built. We also have a 1968 Z28 RS Camaro 302 MO British Green, but we have changed out and put Dart Soportmen's heads, and I think if his car is mostly going to be driven on the freeway, hey, 302 good. That's just my thoughts on it. Dianna

·
Registered
68 Z28
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #137 ·
Found a 2nd partial vin on the top of the firewall..and I agree with you 100%Dianna.

·
Registered
1968 Z28 RS Camaro 302 British Green M.O.
323 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I think Brandon is right for what he's doing. Keeping a Z with MO as close as you can too how it was built. We also have a 1968 Z28 RS Camaro 302 MO British Green, but we have changed out and put Dart Soportmen's heads, and I think if his car is mostly going to be driven on the freeway, hey, 302 good. That's just my thoughts on it. Dianna

I think you are making a big mistake. If you have the numbers matching MO engine for your car you probably shouldn't be hot rodding it. You're taking a big chance on grenading that motor. Of course it's your car and you do with it what you want.

121 - 140 of 149 Posts