Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 RS w/a 327. It is pretty much stock except for the exhaust and a mild cam. I have been having temp. problems for the longest time now. I changed the thermostat (180) a while back. Changed the cap. Hoses seem fine. Then had the radiator redone. I thought I would be off and running but the temp still rises quickly while at an idle. The temp goes down about 5-10 degrees once I start going again and I always ride with the heater on.:( WTF? Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
What do you have for a clutch/fan or flex and do you have a fan shroud. Also timing and carb tunning has a big factor in cooling, check your plugs and report back... One other easy trick to do if you have a air pockets in the cooling system would be to remove the T-stat put it in a pot of boiling water and a thermometer to check when the T-stat opens, next drill 2-1/8 holes in the T-stat to prevent air pockets in the cooling system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a flex fan and the shroud. I already know I have one bad cylinder that has weak compression compared to the rest. I have a tick in engine (sound like exhaust leak but isnt) at that cylinder I figure stuck/broke ring possibly.That plug fouls often. Also when I get leave stop signs I like to punch it and catch second but now right when I get there it bogg's big time until I let off. Your probably laughing -too many issues here. Carb, cooling,rings. I guess what I am wondering if I possibly have a cracked head. And I am trying to avoid the inevitable rebuild.
Thx for reply

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
I have a flex fan and the shroud. I already know I have one bad cylinder that has weak compression compared to the rest. I have a tick in engine (sound like exhaust leak but isnt) at that cylinder I figure stuck/broke ring possibly.That plug fouls often. Also when I get leave stop signs I like to punch it and catch second but now right when I get there it bogg's big time until I let off. Your probably laughing -too many issues here. Carb, cooling,rings. I guess what I am wondering if I possibly have a cracked head. And I am trying to avoid the inevitable rebuild.
Thx for reply
What you need to do is take off the valve cover on the side that you hear ticking and check to make sure its not a bent push rod or a rocker arm problem... Very easy fix and sounds like your simptomes...

·
Retired
16,005 Posts
The fan blades should be tucked into the shroud at least an inch or more. The cooling will improve then. They make an extender for the fan blade to get it inside there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The fan blades should be tucked into the shroud at least an inch or more. The cooling will improve then. They make an extender for the fan blade to get it inside there.
That makes sense. I will check it out. Thanks for the reply :)

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
K. thx will check . I hope it is an easy fix , Its getting frustrating.
After checking the rockers and pushrod to make sure its not bent, then drop a new plug in it. Start it up and see if it runs smoother, if not then remove the plug wire from that cylinder and start it again to see if its worse or the same. If its the same then that means that cylinder isn't firing. Don't worry about the foul plug its probably a bad valve guide... Oh yeah its probably heating up because its running on 7 -cylinders and not 8...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After checking the rockers and pushrod to make sure its not bent, then drop a new plug in it. Start it up and see if it runs smoother, if not then remove the plug wire from that cylinder and start it again to see if its worse or the same. If its the same then that means that cylinder isn't firing. Don't worry about the foul plug its probably a bad valve guide... Oh yeah its probably heating up because its running on 7 -cylinders and not 8...
Makes sense. Will check this weekend. Thanks for the advise :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts