Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of posts on this and I think I am close but need some final conformation.

I reallocated my backup lights to the rear/bottom valance on my 68 RS clone and I'm in the wiring phase. No issues getting the wiring figured out in the trunk as I connected my original backup light wires (which were part of my tail lamps) to my new backup wires coming in via the bottom of the trunk. BTW, my original backup lights did not work as they were disconnected from the NSS (Neutral Safety Switch/reverse lights). My console horseshoe shifter (TH350 transmission) has the NSS switch but no wires coming from it or any sign of a console harness. (see pic below).

I finally found tucked way under my dash a set of wires what I believe is part of the dash harness (as it’s wired into the main dash harness) and I think this dash harness connects to the missing console harness via a plug on the end (see pic below).

The harness includes purple, purple-white, pink, green, gray, orange and white wires which I found exact identities for via some great posts here. Sure enough the purple and purple/white wires have been cut off from the end plug and connected together which makes sense as based on what I read these are the main NSS wires and have to be connected together in order for the car to start without the use of NSS. Here is the part I am not 100% sure.

I believe the missing link is a console harness. If I purchase a new console harness, will it plug into the existing dash harness that I am showing here via the end plug?

Regarding the NSS itself, given my NSS has no wires coming from the 4 prongs. Will I have to purchase some sort of in-between extension and will this extension connect to the 4 NSS prongs and plug into my new console harness or does a new console harness already includes direct adapters/plugs which connect to these prongs? I can’t really tell by looking at a console harness pictures in my catalogs. However, by looking at new NSS in my catalogs, it appears that some new NSS’s come with a short wire extension connected to the NSS prongs and the extension ends with a small plug that I am assuming plugs into the console harness. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance, Matt.

Extension of dash harness (?):

NSS

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I ordered the console harness and hopefully it will be here before this weekend.

Eric,
I did email you the pics...did you ever get them?

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Matt -

I received the email, but by the time I did the pics appeared here and so I just posted a reply here. I should have emailed back too, but I got busy and forgot, sorry. :)

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Console harness arrived and it's installed. It plugged right into the NSS prongs on one end (no need for any extensions) and into the dash harness on the other end. I still need to get a shift plate bulb mounting plate for the two shift plate illumination sockets/bulbs. Backup lights work like a charm and the car will now only start in Park or Neutral (as it should). Thanks for all the feedback.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Cool! Sounds a lot like my 68 when I bought it; I was amazed that the previous owner had left a number of things rigged and/or unfinished, when everything he needed was right there to do it right the first time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts