Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dragged this out of a pole barn this summer in MI and brought it back to MN. This was my dads first car when he turned 16 in 1975 and hasn't been on the road since 1979. It will be a slow project but I am hoping to have it back on the road and drivable by next spring/summer. Anyways onto the pictures.

Just pulled out of the barn ready to go back to MN.

Passenger side rear quarter needs to be replaced.

Worst of the rust on the core support.

After grinding the rust off of the subframe I painted it and put new prothane bushings on.

Its starting to look like a car again as my wife says.

Front metal installed.

All new control arm bushings, ball joints, KYB shocks, and Hotchkis lower springs installed.

With wheels mocked up, new bearings installed, and O'Rileys was able to turn the original 2 piece rotors for the front.

Found the original distributor and intake in a box of parts that was with the car.

Underside in the rear of the car. Figure its worth cleaning up and undercoating before I put the rebuilt rear end back under it.

How she currently sits today.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Wish my dad had a Z sitting in a barn somewhere. :) Lots like some work but a great project.

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Glad you were able to get her back to your place. Have at it.

Reactions: OverAnxious

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish my dad had a Z sitting in a barn somewhere. :) Lots like some work but a great project.
Yeah the first time that I ever remember seeing it was when I took it out of the barn. It was already long put away by the time I was born lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
very cool...Do you have the rest of the original 302?
I have the original heads pistons and rods. I will be picking up a block this weekend for it but it isn't an MO stamped one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no such thing as " pic heavy " Lol. Looks like another good story to grace the site. Any older pics from the 70's ?
I will have to check with my sister. I do remember seeing one at some point but it's hard telling where it ended up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have the original heads pistons and rods. I will be picking up a block this weekend for it but it isn't an MO stamped one.
Any chance of you finding the original block? or did it meet an untimely demise?

·
Premium Member
8,048 Posts
Take your time and do it right. You have a long road ahead of you but it'll be worth it that first time you pick up your dad for a drive and if he's no longer with us I'm sure he'll be with you through the whole process.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any chance of you finding the original block? or did it meet an untimely demise?
I'm sure it is long gone by now. I gathered all of the parts that were in the shed and pole barn where the car was. I wish that I could find the original block and will definitely keep an eye out over on the CRG forum just in case it pops up.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Take your time and do it right. You have a long road ahead of you but it'll be worth it that first time you pick up your dad for a drive and if he's no longer with us I'm sure he'll be with you through the whole process.
Yeah I plan on taking all the time that I need to get it done. And yes I am sure that my dad will be with my throughout the whole process.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 68Z, love them. Lucky enough to have the born with engine, trans, rear-end, yada-yada. That being said, really love the restomods. Something to be said for old school lines, which are never going to go out of style, and modern , well behaved engine/trans combos. You could even go as far to make it look stock, with say a nice 383 crate. Get it on the road, keep your eyes peeled for another MO which may surface. Might be $$$ trying to build another 302 around pistons and rods. Plus trying to find a dated block , heads,etc...

My opinion is you got a Z, engine is just gone. Maybe put something between the wheel wells with a little more ***. Can never make a Z outa something born with a 6 banger. If it was your Dad's, sentimental value comes to play, so figuring it wont be for sale anytime soon, have fun with it ! Build it as you see correct

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I have a 68Z, love them. Lucky enough to have the born with engine, trans, rear-end, yada-yada. That being said, really love the restomods. Something to be said for old school lines, which are never going to go out of style, and modern , well behaved engine/trans combos. You could even go as far to make it look stock, with say a nice 383 crate. Get it on the road, keep your eyes peeled for another MO which may surface. Might be $$$ trying to build another 302 around pistons and rods. Plus trying to find a dated block , heads,etc...

My opinion is you got a Z, engine is just gone. Maybe put something between the wheel wells with a little more ***. Can never make a Z outa something born with a 6 banger. If it was your Dad's, sentimental value comes to play, so figuring it wont be for sale anytime soon, have fun with it ! Build it as you see correct
Lot of 68 Z lovers here Steve! :yes::hurray::beers::thumbsup:
And X2, enjoy the car but know its going to take some serious $$$ to get back to excellent driver or beyond. Its a labor of love and dollars.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Yeah I wish that I had all the original equipment.
The reason that I plan on doing a 302 is because I still have the original heads and am picking up a block tomorrow morning. Although it's not an MO block it is still a 68 block that is the correct part number.

·
Registered
68 RS L30 AA 749
7,485 Posts
I'd try to document the car as much as possible before getting too far along. Without any paper documentation, PoP, etc, and missing the original engine, a 68Z is tough to prove for future resale, IF the time comes. Does it have the original trans or rear end ?

I'd get pics of the cowl area showing the white out (stripe color), tire pressure sticker in the glove box, 4 leaf rear springs, tachometer if it has one, Muncie hole in the firewall, radiator and all other Z related engine goodies. Chick could probably offer some good advice here.

I'd actually recommend having Jerry M inspect the car as his certification would be invaluable for future resale....but his services don't come cheap. Being your Dad's car, I realize you probably don't plan to ever sell, but....I'm just sayin' it anyway.:eek:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Yeah I wish that I had all the original equipment.
The reason that I plan on doing a 302 is because I still have the original heads and am picking up a block tomorrow morning. Although it's not an MO block it is still a 68 block that is the correct part number.
I'd try to document the car as much as possible before getting too far along. Without any paper documentation, PoP, etc, and missing the original engine, a 68Z is tough to prove for future resale, IF the time comes. Does it have the original trans or rear end ?

I'd get pics of the cowl area showing the white out (stripe color), tire pressure sticker in the glove box, 4 leaf rear springs, tachometer if it has one, Muncie hole in the firewall, radiator and all other Z related engine goodies. Chick could probably offer some good advice here.

I'd actually recommend having Jerry M inspect the car as his certification would be invaluable for future resale....but his services don't come cheap. Being your Dad's car, I realize you probably don't plan to ever sell, but....I'm just sayin' it anyway.:eek:
On the engine, don't forget you can utilize the correct heads, intake, distributor, etc. on the purchased block but you could make it a 383 cu. in. or whatever. Our 69Z has the original block in it but is now a 383 with a solid roller. Kept the solid cam sound!
With your build thread I'd suggest using it as a also means of documenting what the car is. Garth is correct, start establishing a base line of originality before and after removal. I'd start by putting the car on a lift or jack stands and start documenting the underneath. So much can be documented even in steering (document steering part #'s) and drive-train like any paint stripes on drive-shaft. Do a NCRS report to find out where the car was sold from as this has helped some in looking for past ownership and car history. You have a great project tied to your family and Father. :beers:

1 - 20 of 147 Posts